Author Topic: Drinking Wine Everyday - Bad Choice Post-Op?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline m9taylor

• Posting Member
Hi all,

As a guy who drinks 1-2 glasses of redwine a day or every other day, and also knowing that alcohol has a link to gynecomastia, is it a good idea to maintain this intake? Or am I only doing myself a disadvantage and possibly risking the regrowth of my gynecomastia? We all know the benefits of redwine, but for guys like us, we're susceptible to hormone changes, obviously.

I'd appreciate any comments, thanks!

- Mike -

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
They told me not to drink alcohol for 5 days post op.  Didn't give any explanation...maybe it was so I would get drunk, fall over and bust my stitches or something.

Maybe just cut back a bit...1-2 glasses per week? I think its impractical to never drink again...but yeah, its something that makes me nervous (the alcohol gyno link)...
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I'm not a Doctor, but perhaps I can help a bit.

Girls have Testosterone and we have Estrogen.

????

Yes, it is not the mere presence of Estrogen, but an excess of it which is the problem. There is quite an elaborate balancing act going on here.

Normally, our Estrogen is dealt with by the liver so it does not become excessive.

Anything that hampers the function of the liver could contribute to Gynecomastia.

Alcohol is hard as hell on the liver. A glass of wine with dinner should not be as issue, but drinking to the point of intoxication could be problematic.

Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024