Author Topic: Please can someone help me get on the right track towards surgery?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
Ok, I'm 15 and had gynecomastia for a very long time (over 6 years). I know I have gynecomastia because my doctor said I do and i have puffys and its very embarassing! I'm trying to get my uncle to help me but he wants like a lot of proof and stuff and I just dont know what to say to him. I'm having medical records sent to him. I just really need to know what I have to do! What should I say to him? What should I be doing?

So far, I've had my "hormones tested" and I put that in quotation marks because that is what I was told, and have no idea what any of this is supposed to mean but my doctor said my hormones are normal.

I just need someone to talk to and guide me through this. Would any of you be willing to help me out?

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member
Truthfully, if your uncle needs "proof" and isnt a doctor... He's being horribly controlling. Doctors, Plastic Surgeons and others can qualify you as having gyne. Does he want a shrink to explain to him how hard it is to live with it? Have your family doctor explain it to him. If he's that sceptical, he may think your PS is trying to sell him something.
Surgery Date: April 9, 2008.
Surgeon: Dr. J C Fielding. (Toronto)
Result: Life is getting better with every day.

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
He technically IS a doctor, but he's a radiologist... Nothing to do with gynecomastia! He's having me jump through hoops and being 15 with no help from the parents, it just seems impossible.

thnks for the feedback

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I sympathize with you, but realistically speaking, if you are under 18 years of age, you cannot sign to have any operation or treatment in this country.  Assuming you do have gynecomastia, the only avenues available would be to try to get your parents to see your point of view.  Have them go with you to a plastic surgeon and try to understand your situation.  If they are convinced, perhaps they will help you by arranging to pay for the operation.  If not, your only other alternative is to wait until you are 18, save your money and then you are considered an adult and can sign for the procedure yourself.

Good luck!!

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline CodySockeye

• Silver Member
  • i-raq
Well, my dad has nothing to do with me and my mom knows I have it... She's just not helping me do anything. She supports me getting surgery but she's not helping me get it accomplished.

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member
That sucks man.. But, really, based on what little I've read.. Your uncle is one of two things.. He either really just doesnt understand gynecomastia and the solutions for the problem and he's really naive and needs to get himself educated.. Or he's a jerk.. Making you jump through hoops to accomplish???? what? The only hoop should be.. How are you paying him back. I really hope it works out for you man.. Worst case, start saving little by little, or atleast get good credit and get a loan to pay for it when you're old enough to get one.

**DISCLAIMER** Comments about this man's uncle are stricktly based on messages read on this thread. I don't actually know the man and realize there is always two sides to a story... **

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024