Author Topic: Question  (Read 2117 times)

Offline mkit8971

• Bronze Member
How would one know that they've broken blood vessels in their chest post-surgery due to high heart rate caused by exercising?  Would it bruise, swell, or what?  I am 10 days post-op and was cleared by my PS to get back to the gym.  He instructed me i could do weights as long as they were light, and nothing to involve my chest.  I guess he was extremely pleased by my results so far, and was confident in letting me return to the gym.  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!

Oh and I havent gone to the gym yet, i just want to make sure i notice any signs of this happening.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 08:31:06 PM by mkit8971 »

Offline what2do?

• Silver Member
i'm no dr. but my best guess would be swelling, bruising, pain, warm to touch..

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
You would most likely just swell much more.  It's possible to bleed into the tissue with vigorous workouts, and that would cause visible bruising if you tear a small vessel. You didn't bruise much after your surgery, and that may be why he went ahead and released you to the gym.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline mkit8971

• Bronze Member
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=13814.msg96284#msg96284 date=1208827841]
You would most likely just swell much more.  It's possible to bleed into the tissue with vigorous workouts, and that would cause visible bruising if you tear a small vessel. You didn't bruise much after your surgery, and that may be why he went ahead and released you to the gym.

Dr. Pope, MD
[/quote]

Thanks Dr. Pope!  Even if all my yellow bruising is gone, do i still run a risk of breaking vessels?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024