Author Topic: Massaging question for the docs  (Read 4601 times)

Offline gyne23

• Posting Member
Usually after 3 or 4 weeks most docs from what I've read state to begin a light pressure massage with cocoa butter/scar care lotion, and then in 5 or 6 weeks to begin a more deep tissue type of massage..

My question(s) is the following:

Does that apply to just by the nipple area, or does that apply to the entire pectoral and even the sides of the pectoral (sort of under the arm)

I have a harder substance (lump if you will) under my left side, when I lift my left arm in the air which I believe is scar tissue... When I begin to massage, do I massage that area as well, and do I use the cocoa butter there as well ??  Or does the cocoa butter just go on the actual scar itself and has no penetrating effect on the chest, but just aids in the healing of the actual scar ??

And again, do I massage the entire pectoral in which I feel the harder substance ??

Thanks.

Offline gyne23

• Posting Member
Can I please get an answer from someone regarding this please ? ;)

Offline flmb

• Posting Member
i would also like to know this.

Offline DCBR78

• Silver Member
Goos question. I heard light pressure at three months and deeper massage at 5.
Surgery Date: April 9, 2008.
Surgeon: Dr. J C Fielding. (Toronto)
Result: Life is getting better with every day.

Offline flmb

• Posting Member
i thought i read light pressure at 3 weeks.

Offline middetroit

• Posting Member
Great question. I've got the scar tissue problem under there and if there's something i can do to accelerate it's dissolving/disappearance i'd love to hear about it.

DrBermant

Usually after 3 or 4 weeks most docs from what I've read state to begin a light pressure massage with cocoa butter/scar care lotion, and then in 5 or 6 weeks to begin a more deep tissue type of massage..

My question(s) is the following:

Does that apply to just by the nipple area, or does that apply to the entire pectoral and even the sides of the pectoral (sort of under the arm)

I have a harder substance (lump if you will) under my left side, when I lift my left arm in the air which I believe is scar tissue... When I begin to massage, do I massage that area as well, and do I use the cocoa butter there as well ??  Or does the cocoa butter just go on the actual scar itself and has no penetrating effect on the chest, but just aids in the healing of the actual scar ??

And again, do I massage the entire pectoral in which I feel the harder substance ??

Thanks.

All injuries result in scars, that is how the body heals itself.  The question becomes what you do to influence that scar.  The scar is not just the surface incisions, but the entire sculpture zone.

The best way I know how to deal with scars, is to start with a technique that has less swelling, bruising, and trauma to the tissue.  Picking your surgeon is critical in this process.  I have evolved my surgery such that I can post very early healing after gynecomastia surgery pictures on my website.  These images are not the exception, but average for my patients.  Check these against what you can find from other doctors' patients.

I prefer to individualize the scar care for each of my patients.  For my patients, Scar Care after Surgery usually consists of massaging and Stage One Compression Garments After Gynecomastia.  Scars that evolve under pressure typically do better than scars without.  Most of my patients tell me they prefer a Stage Two Compression Garment after Gynecomastia Surgery after initial healing as it does not look surgical, offers more compression, and feels better while scars are evolving.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline flmb

• Posting Member
what about massaging? when do you you recommend we start the massages?

DrBermant

what about massaging? when do you you recommend we start the massages?

Recommending treatment plans for individuals without the details can lead to less than satisfactory results.  I prefer to individualize the timing for each of my patients depending on many factors such as the original problem, what I did, nature of the patient's tissue, healing, and more.  That is why such questions should be directed to your own doctor or someone who is familiar with your specifics of your situation.

The pictures seen on my website are the result of many components.  Individualized scar care is but one. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery

Offline gyne23

• Posting Member
I understand every case is different, but should the patient massage the entire pectoral area or just the nipple area ??

I'm sure in most of these cases scar tissue builds up in many areas on the pec and not just isolated directly behind the nipple--considering many times there's an incision by the armpit area..

I guess what I'm getting at here is, should anywhere you feel the scar tissue be massaged ?? Is that a rule of thumb in regards to post op ??

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
The lump is either scar tissue or residual breast tissue.
At 2 weeks after gynecomastia surgery I often see firm tissue. This is healing scar tissue. It usually resolves at 8 weeks. This is quite common. Aggressive massage will accelerate collagen remodeling and resolution. I will often inject Kenalog (Steroid) into this lump. It often helps.

Dr. Cruise, M.D.
Newport Beach, CA
www.CruisePlasticSurgery.com
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024