Author Topic: prolactin and gynecomasta  (Read 3321 times)

Offline elcazador

• Posting Member
ive posted about this before but not many people seem to know much about it, but i'll keep trying!
i have ess (empty sella syndrome) apparently it means that fluid got into the area surrounding my pituitary gland and has somehow effected it's functions.  This is a fairly common condition that is often un noticed in people because there are no symptoms, or the pituitary functions normally with ess. 

So i had a blood test back in february under the supervision of an endo and we concluded that my testosterone serum (263) was low because my prolactin (18) was high.  He said that too much prolactin can inhibit the proper functioning of the testes.  My free testosterone was also low, 62.
My estrogen and estriadol and that stuff was normal, along with lh and fsh.

He put me on dostinex, .25mg twice per week, this is designed to stop the production of prolactin, so my testosterone will return to normal. 

So i had another blood test in early april, approximately after 1 month on dostinex, my prolactin was <1, my testosterone serum was 302 and my free testosterone was 67.  From what i understand it takes many months for testosterone to return to the normal levels.

I think i have developed mild gyne because of high prolactin, or maybe because my testosterone levels were low compared to my estrogen and estadriol levels which were normal, or maybe both. 

on a side note i have seen a few people posting on this site that they cannot gain muscle because they have low T.  I am very confused by this because i also thought that low T meant you would be weaker than a normal person.  But i am 17 years old and have been making steady gains since i started lifting 4 years ago.  I have never taken steroids or anything like, i have a very strict diet for maximum strength gains and i am currently 6'2 240 pounds and i can bench 330 pounds, with low t ???? ???

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Your situation clearly indicates the reason why we have specialized Endocrinologists.

Often people post with questions about hormones and/or treatments for which they expect simple answers and simple treatment regimens which the can follow on their own without competent Medical oversight. Simple answers do not exist, and most of us (myself included) are not equipped to understand the explanations when they are given.

Simply put, none of the hormones work alone. When it comes to hormones, there are no solo performers. What exists is more like a concert performed by a full orchestra.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

Offline MSJ108

Alot of steroid users experience prolactin induced puffy nipples. Go to various bodybuilding boards and you wil see. Best of luck to you man.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
high prolactin can cause gynecomastia if you also have high levels of IGF-1 and/or high ratio of estrodiol:test.  in your case it sounds like you've got low test + high prolactin which very well could cause gynecomastia.

having low testosterone wont' keep you from getting stronger (or gaining muscle)... working out will make you stronger regardless of testosterone levels just b/c your CNS will adapt and your body will "learn" to fire more nerves during muscular contractions thus increasing strength. testosterone levels DO have a role in developing larger muscles though -- just look at women compared to men. men have more testosterone and thus are of a more muscular stature. having low test levels may keep you from ever being the biggest guy in the gym, but theres a lot more to it than just specific hormone levels. your sensitivity to those hormones is just as important and in your case: 6'2 240 benching 330, you seem to be doing alright despite the low test levels.

Paa_Paw hit the nail on the head when he said: "When it comes to hormones, there are no solo performers. What exists is more like a concert performed by a full orchestra"

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024