Author Topic: alcohol-related gynecomastia - common?  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Joey101

• Posting Member
I've read that alcohol can impair the liver's ability to break down estrogens, which can cause gyne. Is this something that only happens to people with chirrosis after years of heavy drinking?

I used to drink quite a bit but I've cut down a lot now - I've wondered if that may have contributed to my gyne  :-\

Offline bamboocha

• Posting Member
Well, did you have gyno before you started drinking?
Anyways, you shouldn't drink, not because of gyne, but many much more serious health issues with alcohol, I think.

Offline Joey101

• Posting Member
Well, did you have gyno before you started drinking?

no, but there are many causes of gyne, so it's hard to know

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Heavy drinkers are somewhat more prone to have Gynecomastia, this is true.

The relationship is what you have heard, That alcohol impairs liver function leading to excessive estrogen.

The trick is to try and interpret how much alcohol is a problem. I don't think that a glass of wine with dinner or accasional social drinking is sufficient to be a problem. Drinking to the point of intoxication is another matter though and it could be problematic. A weekend binge drinker may be in just as much trouble as the long term heavy drinker.

Further, alcohol is also toxic to the testes. Meaning that while the E goes high, the T drops, at least temporarily.

Grandpa Dan

Offline Joey101

• Posting Member
thanks Paa_Paw, I'm cutting down my alcohol intake - so that can only be a good thing.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I'm cutting down my alcohol intake - so that can only be a good thing.

Yasir! ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024