Author Topic: Long time since last post. Need some advice regarding pre-surgury weightloss.  (Read 2673 times)

Offline hidden_from_society

• Posting Member
Hey all, it's been quite some time since I've posted. But since I posted last, I have re-aggravated a nagging knee injury, and have thus ballooned out to 240 LBs. I'm 5'11.

Now, the weight is an issue solely because I have noticed how fast I put the weight on while I wasn't exercising due to the injury, but with use of Underworks, it really does help quit a bit. I don't "look" fat or if I have gynecomastia, but I don't look skinny either, obviously. I can wear a t-shirt and look.. out of shape.

I'm now in a financial situation to where I can afford gynecomastia surgery, but I believe I will yield far better results if I lose weight before going "under the knife".

I would like your opinions on what I should do to begin losing the weight required. My goal would be sub 200 LBs, preferably 175 LBs before I treat myself to the gynecomastia removal.

Some additional information is: I can afford to purchase needed things, such as specialty products, workout regimen DVD's etc. I currently own a stationary bike that's from the year 2020 as it's so high tech, a weight machine pretty much the exact same as this picture:

http://www.homefitnessequipmentonline.com/gyms/weider/WESY8510-small2.jpg

Hockey net, sticks, balls, so I think I would be able to work out my cardio by playing hockey (I'm also trying to get into shape for tryouts next year)

So yea, lets throw around some suggestions and maybe we can help not only me, but many other people who read these forums but need questions like this answered :)

Oh, final variable: I'm addicted to coca-cola lol. That is why my weight ballooned so fast, not able to work off the calories. But I'm dealing with the addiction on my own.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I think your observations are correct. Weight loss should precede surgery for best result.

Almost anything you mentioned will burn up calories and help with weight reduction. As for the Coke, go with the diet version and you'll save a lot of calories.

According to old time comic Lou Costello, a diet was when you could eat all you want of everything you do not like. Diets are usually not effective because they do not change our lifestyle as far as foods are concerned.

It is nearly impossible to lose weight unless you start every day with a good breakfast. Skip breakfast and you wind up nibbling all evening as a result. This I know first hand.

Limit (but don't eliminate) fats. Seriously limit your intake of processed foods. Also limit your intake of Spuds, (french fries are a serious No-No) white rice, White bread, flour torillas etc. Anything with a lot of sugar is bad news. Whole wheat or multi grain bread is better, but limit the amount.

The key is not to deprive yourself of foods you like but to treat yourself to small amounts of high fat and high carbohydrate foods While taking the majority of your intake from the produce aisle of the grocery store.

Generally you should drink 2 quarts of water each day. Sorry, but coffee or soda is not water.

If you're a chocolaholic like I am make sure it is dark chocolate and only a small amount each day as a treat. Again, don't deprive yourself but set limits for yourself.

Don't weigh yourself too often, it can be depressing and misleading.  A glass of water weighs over half a pound and a trip to the toilet could mean a short ter weight loss of more than a pound.

I hit a plateau in my weight loss when I got to about 210 pounds. You will likely have similar experiences as you take off the weight. Don't let that depress you, eventually you'll drop a few more pounds and be on your way again.

Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

Offline hidden_from_society

• Posting Member
Breakfast is my problem: I rarely eat it. I think I will start with a bowl of cereal and some fruit maybe, to get me going.

Does anyone have any supplements that help build muscle mass while not bulking me up completely? I don't want to look all big and fast when in reality it's muscle, if you get my point. Muscle is better than fat, afterall, and the more muscle I have now, the better I will look after MBR.

Offline milesed1

• Silver Member
I love Coke too, but successfully switched to Diet Coke with Splenda and it tastes good without all the calories.

DrBermant

Hey all, it's been quite some time since I've posted. But since I posted last, I have re-aggravated a nagging knee injury, and have thus ballooned out to 240 LBs. I'm 5'11.

Now, the weight is an issue solely because I have noticed how fast I put the weight on while I wasn't exercising due to the injury, but with use of Underworks, it really does help quit a bit. I don't "look" fat or if I have gynecomastia, but I don't look skinny either, obviously. I can wear a t-shirt and look.. out of shape.

I'm now in a financial situation to where I can afford gynecomastia surgery, but I believe I will yield far better results if I lose weight before going "under the knife".

I would like your opinions on what I should do to begin losing the weight required. My goal would be sub 200 LBs, preferably 175 LBs before I treat myself to the gynecomastia removal.

Some additional information is: I can afford to purchase needed things, such as specialty products, workout regimen DVD's etc. I currently own a stationary bike that's from the year 2020 as it's so high tech, a weight machine pretty much the exact same as this picture:

http://www.homefitnessequipmentonline.com/gyms/weider/WESY8510-small2.jpg

Hockey net, sticks, balls, so I think I would be able to work out my cardio by playing hockey (I'm also trying to get into shape for tryouts next year)

So yea, lets throw around some suggestions and maybe we can help not only me, but many other people who read these forums but need questions like this answered :)

Oh, final variable: I'm addicted to coca-cola lol. That is why my weight ballooned so fast, not able to work off the calories. But I'm dealing with the addiction on my own.

Weight Loss Before Surgery is typically better than weight loss after when loose tissues can again be a concern.  As a surgical sculptor, I prefer to use Losing Weight, as a coarse tool first.  Plastic Surgery is then better for refinement.  Unless, you prefer the additional costs of revision surgery to tighten and lift the tissues again.  Check out the

Changes weight loss can have on gynecomastia male chest deformity and how surgery then can refine the remaining deformity.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
Everyone has there own way of losing weight, find one that works for you and stick with it.  The key I found is consistancy.  I need to have every day be a good day with diet and exercise.  They don't have to be GREAT days, just create a small caloric deficet (500/day) and the time will be your friend.  You will start to shed a minimum of a pound/week. 

For me the diet is the "Abs Diet".  Great diet, best I have ever been on.  Easy to follow and all foods I like.  I exercise everyday.  Weights & Cardio 5 days/week and light cardio the other two.  Eliptical is my sweat of choice.

I lost 50lbs in 5 months.  I too was over 240 at 5'11" when I started, you CAN do it.

Good Luck!!!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024