Author Topic: New to Site... Many Questions (Of Course)  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Nozeth

Well.....  Hey everyone heh.

I have quite a few questions about Gynecomastia as im thinking I may have it (Otherwise why would I be here... right)

I am 20 years old, will be 21 this year, 6'3" 210-235ish pounds (My weight has varied quite a bit during the last year due to all sorts of lifestyle changes).

My chest has always been a bit different from other guys as far back as middle school.  I'd change in bathroom stalls instead of the locker room because of my chest.  The few times that I had to change in the open I was made fun of, go figures.  As much as I didnt like not being able to take my shirt off it never bothered me enough to look into how to truly get rid of them until recently.  The thought of having sex with someone with my chest like this makes me feel like it would be impossible.

My lifestyle change came from being in a Military school where I had to take showers in a large shower hall with other people.  I got made fun of and figure a new way to deal with it by just laughing at myself.  When people thought I didn't care it became not such a big deal, a way to cope with it.  6 months of being in this military school where you wake up at 5 in the morning and do physical training all day long should have been a perfect test to see if this was just fat or if it was something else.  I do remember one of my drill sergeants telling me not to worry about it, that there was surgery for that sort of thing (something I'm not a huge fan of).  At the end of the military school some of the guys in my platoon said that they had noticed that my "boobs" had gotten much smaller.  It was still VERY VERY clear that they were not gone at all, just slightly small (I'm assuming this was part of the fat layer that went away during the physical training)

My question is how I am able to be 90% sure whether I actually have Gynecomastia or if it is merely fat.  I am not a very physical person, but even when I was it didn't seem to help.

If I have Gynecomastia, is there any solution other than surgery?

If Surgery is my last option, roughly how much does the procedure cost? (I know that I am no where near a location for it, so I'm looking at airfare on top of it)

Assuming you are in pain after the surgery, how long before you are able to take your shirt off without having obvious wounds?

I have seen a few programs out there claiming to help "reverse" and cure Gynecomstia, any of them real.

And my last, maybe one of the more important questions.  After having a surgery, will the tissue continue to "grow" back... as in, will the tissue grow back and you will be back at square one?

Thanks for all the information in advance.  I know its quite a bit of an introduction to sift through.  I had no clue about this until I was just goggling around (what would we do without the goggle lol)  Just like anyone I'd like to be able to live a normal life without something embarrasing me or making me feel different.

To give you guys an idea about what my chest looks like (without photos at this point) if I have my shirt off an im sitting normal my chest protrudes about 2 1/2 inches, puff nipples... ect  not just a little bulge like some people.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 03:17:31 AM by Nozeth »

DrBermant

Well.....  Hey everyone heh.

I have quite a few questions about Gynecomastia as im thinking I may have it (Otherwise why would I be here... right)

I am 20 years old, will be 21 this year, 6'3" 210-235ish pounds (My weight has varied quite a bit during the last year due to all sorts of lifestyle changes).

My chest has always been a bit different from other guys as far back as middle school.  I'd change in bathroom stalls instead of the locker room because of my chest.  The few times that I had to change in the open I was made fun of, go figures.  As much as I didnt like not being able to take my shirt off it never bothered me enough to look into how to truly get rid of them until recently.  The thought of having sex with someone with my chest like this makes me feel like it would be impossible.

My lifestyle change came from being in a Military school where I had to take showers in a large shower hall with other people.  I got made fun of and figure a new way to deal with it by just laughing at myself.  When people thought I didn't care it became not such a big deal, a way to cope with it.  6 months of being in this military school where you wake up at 5 in the morning and do physical training all day long should have been a perfect test to see if this was just fat or if it was something else.  I do remember one of my drill sergeants telling me not to worry about it, that there was surgery for that sort of thing (something I'm not a huge fan of).  At the end of the military school some of the guys in my platoon said that they had noticed that my "boobs" had gotten much smaller.  It was still VERY VERY clear that they were not gone at all, just slightly small (I'm assuming this was part of the fat layer that went away during the physical training)

My question is how I am able to be 90% sure whether I actually have Gynecomastia or if it is merely fat.  I am not a very physical person, but even when I was it didn't seem to help.

If I have Gynecomastia, is there any solution other than surgery?

If Surgery is my last option, roughly how much does the procedure cost? (I know that I am no where near a location for it, so I'm looking at airfare on top of it)

Assuming you are in pain after the surgery, how long before you are able to take your shirt off without having obvious wounds?

I have seen a few programs out there claiming to help "reverse" and cure Gynecomstia, any of them real.

And my last, maybe one of the more important questions.  After having a surgery, will the tissue continue to "grow" back... as in, will the tissue grow back and you will be back at square one?

Thanks for all the information in advance.  I know its quite a bit of an introduction to sift through.  I had no clue about this until I was just goggling around (what would we do without the goggle lol)  Just like anyone I'd like to be able to live a normal life without something embarrasing me or making me feel different.

To give you guys an idea about what my chest looks like (without photos at this point) if I have my shirt off an im sitting normal my chest protrudes about 2 1/2 inches, puff nipples... ect  not just a little bulge like some people.

Gynecomastia can cause a great deal of emotional stress.

It can be difficult learning all the details using a forum format. That is why I built my site. Start with Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction and use the arrows to get a good introduction to the issues of gynecomastia and options.

When there is a medical problem causing the gynecomastia, getting the problem treated first can help to a degree.

If there is excessive weight, weight loss before surgery is typically better than weight loss after surgery.

Healing and Recovery after Gynecomastia Surgery depend on the skill of the doctor, techniques used, and other factors.  I prefer techniques with minimal bruising, swelling, and discomfort.

Pain After Gynecomastia Surgery  Although I prescribe a strong pain medication for each of my patients, they typically tell me that plain Tylenol alone is more than enough. They tell me it feels like they just had a heavy workout and their chest is sore.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
Welcome,

One thing about Gynecomastia, from my experience, no one post or thread will answer all your questions.  Cruise around this site though and you can learn a ton!

Some quick answeres to some of your questions.

There is no magic pill or supplement remedy.
I have not seen before and after pictures from anyone who rid themselves of G that did not have surgery.

There may be several causes for G, but surgery is the only dependable solution.

As for the shirt off question.  Varies greatly depending on your case, your surgeon, and the procedure.  On average I would say two months for a good result, 1 yr for final result.

Glandular regrowth is rare, weight gain can cause fat collect in the chest.  Bottom line, stay in shape after surgery and you should be fine.

As for the cost depends on the country and state.  I spent $7900 in NYC.  Have seen some here as low as $3000.   

My best advice is find an experienced G surgeon that you are comfortable with, VERY IMPORTANT.  Revision surgery is costly and difficult.  Do you homework on the doc.

Good Luck

Offline tunapuff

• Bronze Member
It sounds like you have it.  Surgery is the only way to fix it.  See an endocrinologist before surgery to check hormone levels to help ensure no regrowth. cost varies but on average I've heard a lot in the 5k-8k range.  And everything Noseguard said about researching your surgeon is good advice...one surgery and done is the way to go.

Offline Nozeth

I did when I was younger as well, 14ish go through a medical depression "stage" that last until I was about 17 and about 2 or 3 days worth when i was 18 popped up.  Was curious as I recall reading around here on the forums that there is a possible tie between low levels of Testosterone and depression, which could link in Gynecomastia.  Does this sound logical or is there anything that would back this up?

Not sure if the gyne would have been a side effect of depression, or vice versa.  Although I had the issue with my chest back before I was on anti-depressants, ect.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024