Author Topic: Need Some Advice for Non-Surgical Options  (Read 4210 times)

Offline gnufie

I am new to this list.  I joined to see what I could learn about the condition.  My son, who just turned 17, has what I think is a pretty severe case of gyne, though he will not let me see how he looks these days.  He ALWAYS wears baggy shirts, sweatshirts, etc.  Basically he is about 6'2", 220, kind of soft around the middle.  I am not sure how to describe his breast appearance -- I would have to say the nipples stand out and the breasts are quite pronounced.  He has had the problem for several years now.

He is interested in surgery, but from what I have read it might be best for him to wait a year or so before going ahead with surgery, though he is so embarrassed all the time I am not sure that waiting is the best thing for him.

I saw a post here about compression shirts, but I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the choices.  I am not really sure what would be best for him.  He is going to camp next month -- there will be time at the beach as well as other swimming (right now he says he does not want to swim or go near the water, because of how he looks).  It will be hot -- he is going to Costa Rica for a week.  I thought maybe a compression shirt would help him, but I am not sure which one would be best. (He wants black!)  Also, apparently they are not so good in the water -- is that correct? 

I would love to have some advice from anyone that has tried these shirts, especially if you are dealing with very pointed, pronounced breast tissue.  It might give him more confidence for his upcoming trip.  Thanks.

Offline DenverGuy

• Bronze Member
First of all, can I say that I appreciate your post? I'm a 49 year old man who suffered with gynecomastia my whole life until I finally realized I didn't have to. Here are my before and afters (afters were only 4 days after surgery; I'm now a year after and look totally normal):

http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=3307

Both before and after my surgery, I have been wearing UnderArmour compression shirts and vests. They look good, feel good, and they have a certain cachet about them since athletes like them. Depending on how pronounced your son's gyne is, they could be a real benefit. They're available at many large sports stores like Sports Authority, male thingy's Sporting Goods, etc. and they run true to size (you don't need to buy one size smaller, in other words).

Another option is wearing swimming shirts specifically designed for the pool. In that case, be sure also to buy the correct size. I could barely squeeze into one when it was dry, so I bought one two sizes too big for me. As soon as I got in the water it became ridiculously baggy - I had to just give it to Goodwill.

I was mortified as a teenager - it's such a tough time - with any situation where I had to go shirtless. It got easier as I got older and got chest hair. Do your son a HUGE favor and get a consultation with a VERY GOOD, EXPERIENCED plastic surgeon - i.e., one who has experience specifically in gynecomastia surgery, not just surgery in general (and definitely not one who's primarily a women's breast surgeon and wants to do some men as a sideline!). It's critical to get the gland removed: that's what causes the male breast to appear puffy. Before surgery, my breasts were always either puffy or hard depending on how cold it was outside. Now they're always smaller and hard like most men's chests are.

One more thing: as you know, true love doesn't care about appearances. As you can see, I had very pronounced breasts before the surgery but I didn't have any problems with having wonderful relationships with women who cared about me. But I never mentioned my problem to anyone until finally, after 7 years of marriage, I screwed up the courage to ask my wife whether we could afford to have the surgery. She said I didn't need it as far as she was concerned, but if it meant a lot to me, yes, go ahead. I love her so dearly for her acceptance - both of me as a person before and after surgery, and her acceptance of my wish to have the surgery.

Best wishes to you and your son! Feel free to send me a private message if you have follow-up questions. I really feel for your son and what he's going through.
DenverGuy

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Very touching story and follow up reply -- couldn't have said it better myself.  Obviously, your son will require surgery sometime in the future -- it would be best to lose whatever weight he can lose prior to the operation.  In the meanwhile, compression shirts are a good option.

Elliot Jacobs, MD, FACS
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Here are my before and afters (afters were only 4 days after surgery; I'm now a year after and look totally normal):

http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=3307

Do you have any recent pics?

GB

Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline gnufie

Thanks for the replies -- I will pass the info on to him. I don't have any pics -- he is mostly too embarrassed to even talk about it, let alone let me see.  Taking a photo would probably kill him!  (At least he would think so.)  He looks a lot like you did in your before picture, DenverGuy.  I am certain there are glands underneath -- no way is it just fatty tissue.

I am going to try to get him a compression shirt before he goes to camp.  I got him a rash guard shirt for in the water, but it tends to accentuate the problem rather than minimize it.  (It fits tightly) I did show him some of the pictures on this site last night, especially the ads for shirts, and he asked me to buy him one.  The camp lists a rash guard shirt as required equipment, but I am going to need to find something he can wear under it that won't be too damaged by the water.  I will look into what has been suggested. 

I really appreciate the sizing advice, as I will probably have to buy the shirt online.  We live in a dinky nowhere town and I doubt there is a store for 100 miles that would carry what he needs.

Thank you so much.  We will probably start looking for a surgeon later this summer, but I need to change jobs first and get some money ahead, though the procedure doesn't seem as expensive as I had thought. 

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I got him a rash guard shirt for in the water, but it tends to accentuate the problem rather than minimize it.

Yeah, sounds like your son has a lot of mass. It's very difficult, next to impossible, to conceal it completely. Guys who have puffies are lucky in a way. They can wear a tight fitting 'T', or something similar to fully conceal their condition. However, sufferers who have 'mass' (I was one of them :-\), find it very difficult to hide their m(oYo)bs.

GB

Offline gnufie

Just wanted to let you know I ordered him a couple of UnderArmour compression shirts.  I also have access to T shirts as a wholesaler, and found some compression shirts I can get for about $15 each, in quite a few sizes, so I got him black (all he ever wears anymore  :o) in XL, his usual shirt size.  I never knew what they were so I had never tried them, but I placed a big shirt order the other day and got a couple of these to see if they do him any good.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!  He is actually excited at the prospect of getting some shirts that might help him disguise his condition.  I was thinking he could use the compression shirts as undershirts, then wear one of his looser fitting shirts over it.  I got him a sleeveless one for swimming, to wear under the rash guard shirt he has.  He likes to layer stuff and swears he won't be too hot.  I hope so!  Thanks again for all the input -- it has really helped us.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024