Author Topic: does mine have a chance of going away?  (Read 4123 times)

Offline codeman9133

I'm 17 right now and noticed the beginnings of gynecomastia when I was 15. I've probably smoked marijuana roughly 25 times but am not a chronic user by any means. I also occasionally over-indulge with alcohol, but again, not daily or even weekly. I'm still going through puberty and still growing so I'm wondering if my gynecomastia may dissapear within the next year. Thanks.

Offline elcrep

• Silver Member
  • 16 years old in london
its hard to say whether it will be in the next year, but yes, there is a large chance that it will go away.

Offline codeman9133

thanks...and when do you think i will know if it's going to last through puberty?

Offline Ernster86

• Posting Member
I wouldnt bet on it..

My doctors told me from the age of 13 up that It will go away, im now 22 and still have it.

Having said that, I'd wait till your atleast 18-19 just in case.

Good luck.

Offline codeman9133

thanks for the good new haha...do you think your's stayed around because of other factors like drinking or smoking marijuana? just wondering if those really have any effect

Offline Pragmatic

• Posting Member
There's a clear association with marijuana and gynecomastia. It only affects some people. It may be that there are some receptors in our chest tissue that respond to estrogen stimulation, and it's unclear what the role of marijuana plays in that. The evidence is largely anecdotal among heavy marijuana users. An occasional toke it not going to make you sprout breasts!

Good luck man. There's a huge army of guys with this issue. You're young and there's lots of treatment options now.

Offline Twin Peaks

• Silver Member
If you've had it for 2 years, it's probably there to stay. 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
When I was 12, The family Doctor said to wait and it would shrink. That was in 1949, I'm still waiting.

Seriously, It does often shrink but it is slow. If it is unchanged after two or more years, surgery may be the only way to get rid of it.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Ernster86

• Posting Member
I'm not saying I dont do those things lol, but VERY VERY ocassionally...there unrelated I'd say.

Sorry to say, but Surgery is pretty much your only option once your ready.

do you think your's stayed around because of other factors like drinking or smoking marijuana? just wondering if those really have any effect

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
When I was 12, The family Doctor said to wait and it would shrink. That was in 1949, I'm still waiting.

Geeze, that sounds familiar huh?

Me thinks GP's should 'revise' their "It will go away in a few months" speal!   ::)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Long ago, I quit faulting the Family Doctor for his statement that it would go away.

What the Doctors want is to paint the rosiest picture. For many, They are right.

The line would be more accurate if they said "usually".

Then again, perhaps he did say it that way but I only heard what I wanted to hear.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

The line would be more accurate if they said "usually".

aaannnnnnd....  "However son, if it doesn't, then you'll require surgical removal..."

Or, something similar. Doctors should be up-front with their young patient. They should advise them what possibly 'could' be the end result...  Not just say "Never mind son, it will go away within a few months". That, leads to false hopes...  :-\

GB

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
GB You are right on at this time, Remember that the surgery in my youth was rare and rather crude by todays  standards. Their response would seem to be about a generation or two out of sync if they fail to mention the surgical option these days.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Dan,

Thirty years ago, surgical removal/reduction wasn't common place. As we both know. However, the GP still should have told his patient that in some cases, it will not go away and he (the patient) will just have to 'deal' with it... Something along those lines anyways.

I still hear of members (recently) complaining bitterly that their GP said "It will go away on its own". When if fact, the sufferer has waited and waited to no avail. As I mentioned...  False hopes...  :-\

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024