Author Topic: Bupa Cover  (Read 7486 times)

Offline blackdog88

Hi I just have a question for those who have tried to use Bupa to cover their gynecomastia surgery - I am booked in for an op in 5 days time, and I have been talking to Bupa about covering all or some of the cost. They started by quoting a certain amount, roughly £300 for the surgical cost, and £190 for the anaesthetist cost, but then stopped and said they don't normally cover this type of operation. Since then they seem reluctant to cover it at all, saying the tissue isn't 'diseased' and that this is categorised as 'cosmetic surgery'.
I have requested justification for this categorisation and would just like to know if anyone else has experienced this or something like this with Bupa and overcome it? Are there any things I should say that might help tick a few boxes and help them decide to cover it? Your help would be greatly appreciated as soon as possible; if they continue to refuse there is no way i can afford it for a long time.
Thanks guys

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Gynecomastia is not a disease, Nor is it (directly) 'life threatening'. Gynecomastia is a 'condition' at best.

You have to look at what is listed in your policy dude... If G is not listed, you're SOL my friend. Sorry to say... :-\

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Unless there is pathology involved, Which is very rare, surgery is not usually covered by Medical/Surgical Insurance plans. In fact many plans specifically rule it out.

The reason for this is simple, So many men have Gynecomastia that the condition is considered statistically "Normal". This conclusion is also supported by a significant number of medical professionals as well.

You may not consider the condition normal, but you do not have the power to re-write their definition.
Grandpa Dan

Offline blackdog88

ok thanks alot for your quick replies. Not the best news, but welcomed anyway  :P
So does this mean it is completely unheard of to be covered by Bupa? As far as I know, gyne is not in the policy on the list of definite no-nos. So i'm thinking positively..but i understand what you say about not being able to re-write their definition. OK well i'll see what happens and let you know.
Thanks again

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024