Author Topic: surgery scheduled... covered by insurance!!!  (Read 5239 times)

Offline tttdone

• Bronze Member
hey i just wanted to let you guys know that i got my surgery scheduled and it is being covered by insurance! I go to kaiser and they are my insurance company as well. The endo said that there used to be 4 requirements for them to cover surgery:
1. the paitient is 18 years old or younger
2. the breast(s) have remained at a steady size for at least a year
3. the patient is not obese (if they are obese they have to loose the weight first)
4. no history of marijuana use.
but about a year ago medicare said they didnt agree with these requirments. and since they are a government company, kaiser now technically has no criteria that has to be met to have the surgery covered... it is just up to the surgeon.
The doctor that will be doing my surgery is just a "general plastic, orthapedic, and reconstructive surgeion". do you guys think it is okay to just see a general surgeon and not a plastic surgeon. he says he does about 2 gynecomastia surgerys a month so i feel pretty confindent.... i am just happy it is covered by insurance

by the way, i am 17 with unilateral gyne. i am non obese. i have smoked marijana a few times but my gyne started way before i ever smoked. and i am pretty sure that it has remained a constant size for the last year..
Surgery on 8/20/2008

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Most Insurance does not cover Gynecomastia, But we've heard from several people that kaiser does. Are there other criteria such as having coverage for a certain period prior to surgery etc? There are probably a lot of guys who would like to know the answer to this.
Grandpa Dan

Offline GrandMstrBud

• Bronze Member
What insurance are you through and who is Kaiser? It would be a dream if this was covered. I just spent the weekend near a beach and it killed me having to watch everyone else have fun.

Offline tttdone

• Bronze Member
Kaiser is the insurance company as well as the hospital.... i live in oregon. im not sure if kaiser is only in the northwest or if they are nationwide....

https://www.kaiserpermanente.org/
that is their website.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
The doctor that will be doing my surgery is just a "general plastic, orthapedic, and reconstructive surgeion". do you guys think it is okay to just see a general surgeon and not a plastic surgeon. he says he does about 2 gynecomastia surgerys a month so i feel pretty confindent.... i am just happy it is covered by insurance.

What is the doctor's name?

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024