Author Topic: in office surgery  (Read 6241 times)

Offline rickslick19

• Posting Member
I finally took the leap and scheduled a consultation a couple of weeks ago. The choices were to be consulted by either the doctor for $60 or from the nurse for free. I opted to do the latter for money purposes. When I was in the room the nurse came in and felt around the nipple for a few seconds and said that it would be a piece of cake since apparently my condition wasn't too bad. She said I could get an in office surgery and she gave me a quote of $1800. My question is if there is a major difference between surgeries in operating rooms and in office surgery. Since the cost is so low I am assuming I won't be having any anesthesia. Has anyone had an in office surgery and if so what was the experience?

Offline gynebegone2

• Bronze Member
Not really, i mean there are differences, but most plastic surgeons have their own operating rooms for these types of procedures.  Its cheaper for the patient and much more convenient for the doctor.  I'm not sure where you are located but something seems a little odd about your arrangement.  First, thats the lowest price I've seen on the board. Second do you really want to play telephone with the nurse?  You expectations may be clear but when your doctor reads your case on a piece of paper things could be lost in translation.  I wouldn't let a stranger shake my hand knock me out and start cutting.

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
lol you will still be having anesthesia buddy.

There is no difference between having the surgery done in the office surgery or a hospital operating theatre. The procedure and results would be the same. 

The difference is, that if you have it done in the office, you will likely be sent home shortly afterwards, so you'd better have someone to pick you up from the office (as you won't be able to drive) and look after you for the first few days while you are recovering...depending on the severity of your case, you will probably not be in any condition to cook for yourself and I know that I definitely had trouble putting on my clothes, simply because I couldn't lift my arms over my head for a few days.

If you are in hospital for a day or two then you will obviously be cared for in this period, however this is obviously obscenely expensive so you need to have private health insurance or live in a country that does it for free.

On a final note, I think you made a mistake not meeting the doctor.  This is an operation that requires a high level of surgical skill to get right, and you should question the doctor about his experience with he procedure, ask for his recommendations on what to do about your condition (maybe see an endo or lose weight first), see some photos of past patients, and ask about what your expected results will be.   
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline rickslick19

• Posting Member
Thanks for the response. Yeah I was surprised by the low cost also, and she even mentioned that the price could go down. I am having the operation in Franklin,TN so that may have something to do with it. I have the operation scheduled for Sep. 8 and a consultation with the doctor on Aug. 26.  I will be sure to look at his credentials before going through with it.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Your consultation was with a nurse rather than with the Surgeon. Red flag #1

Your surgery is to take place in the Office rather than a hospital or outpatient surgical facility. Red flag #2

I've been at this site for four years and you were quoted a price lower than I've ever heard of, even in some financially depressed countries. Red flag #3

Caveat Emptor = Let the buyer Beware

Is this guy even a Doctor with a license to practice medicine?

It is true that some good cosmetic surgeons perform minor procedures in their offices. The presence of the other two red flags with that should send most sane people running elsewhere.
Grandpa Dan

Offline rickslick19

• Posting Member
The place is called Middle Tennessee Plastic Surgery. They have a website if you want to check it out. I would be cautious too if I heard this especially because most surgeries are between 3-7k. I am still going to have a consultation with the actual doctor before the surgery, I just went with the nurse first because of the free consultation, and I just wanted to get a sense of how bad my case was. She told me about people with gynecomastia that have come in before and she explained the surgical procedure to me. She really was professional about it so I'm not too alarmed about this place. We'll see how things go after my final consultation.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
What is the PS's name dude?

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Your consultation was with a nurse rather than with the Surgeon. Red flag #1

Agreed!

Your surgery is to take place in the Office rather than a hospital or outpatient surgical facility. Red flag #2

Many PS's perform the procedure at their 'Private Clinic'...

GB

Offline jamesj

Have you ever tried any other ways, are did you go straight to the surgery option?

The reason I am asking is that I am trying to avoid going the surgery route.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Is the doc's name David S. Martin?

I had a look at the Site. He is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery.

I sent an email to Dr. Martin asking how many GRS procedures he performs each year...

GB

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Have you ever tried any other ways, are did you go straight to the surgery option?

The reason I am asking is that I am trying to avoid going the surgery route.

Dude...

If G does not naturally go away on it's own, surgery is your only option...

GB

Offline rickslick19

• Posting Member
Yeah his name is Dr. Martin. I'm hoping he comes to the same consensus that the nurse did and gives me the same quote that she did.  I'm 5ft. 7in. and a few months ago I was around 172. I always figured since I was overweight I just had extra fat around my chest but now at 140 pounds I know that it's not. I was trying to avoid the surgery route too and I thought maybe if I lost enough it would go away but we all know how that story goes. I cannot wait to get the surgery done. I'm working out extra now just to make sure that the rest of my body matches my new chest.

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
We'll the surgeon whos gonna kill my gyne :) has his own private surgery room.... Dr. Jacobs :D
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I've checked Dr. David Martin out.  He is a board certified plastic surgeon and member of ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons).  He is actually in practice in my home town where my parents live, Murfreesboro, TN.  Back in 1990 when I started private practice, I was employed by the Murfreesboro Medical Clinic (as their first plastic surgeon).  I ended up moving to Orlando, and since then they've had several plastic surgeons join that multi-specialty clinic.

Chances are, Dr. Martin has a procedure room in the medical facility and can do some cases under local anesthesia.

Paa Paw was right about the red flags.  I'm not wild about a nurse examining a patient.  By law, a nurse is now allow to make a diagnosis and formulate a surgical plan.  That's making a medical decision, which is not his/her job.  I say, as long as you are evaluated by the surgeon before the actual surgery, you're probably OK.

Once again, it's important to check credentials.  Go to the ASPS website, www.plasticsurgery.org   If a doc is a board certified plastic surgeon, you will find him/her in a search on that site.

Dr. Pope, M.D.

George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline rickslick19

• Posting Member
That's what I figured regarding the actual procedure. So I'm assuming local anesthesia is where the chest area is numbed. Maybe this is what is keeping the cost of the procedure relatively low.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024