Author Topic: Help me get rid of my gynecomastia.  (Read 2388 times)

Offline crowman1337

So I went to my GP the other day and he said that I have a severe case of gynecomastia. He immediatley recommended surgery. I am 17 so my parents would have to pay for it. I checked up on our health plan and it considers this surgery as cosmetic and it doesn't cover it. The only way I would be able to get the surgery is to get the ~10k myself which won't happen very soon. I was wondering what are some alternatives to surgery that can get me very good results.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Surgery is not only the most effective way to get rid of Gynecomastia, it is the Only effective way to get rid of it.

Full of hope, as you are, you must be very careful that you do not fall prey for some sort of scam.

There are a host of people willing to sell you Diet aids, Herbal concoctions, Exercise programs, and anything else you could imagine. The only thing that they will all reduce, is your bank account.

As to the insurance. Your original supposition is correct, a request for coverage will routinely be denied because they consider this type of surgery to be purely cosmetic. That decision can be appealed. A successful appeal would require the help of a Psychologist (Which the insurance probably will cover) who can show that the effects are not cosmetic but Psychologic.

Diminished sense of self worth, shyness, social isolation, and depression are all psychological problems that could be secondary to Gynecomastia. It is not uncommon to hear of self destructive behavior as a result of Gynecomastia.

This is an uphill battle, but it can be won with the help of a good Psychologist.
Grandpa Dan

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
well, i heard spitting in your hat, turning around three times, and dropping a dead mouse into a hollow stump while whispering "jiminy cricket" at midnight under an even-numbered full moon works too ;) 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline mthatch1

• Silver Member
Crowman,

You might just have to wait a couple years until you can pay or finance the operation if your parents cannot pay for it. I know that when I was a teenager there would have been no way.  I know this doesn't help all that much but I m 27 and finally in a position to finance the surgery. 

Life is really tough.  Are you starting college?  getting a job? 

You should talk about this issue with people you are close to.  I have found it to be a HUGE relief to be able to tell people that can see you that this bothers you.  Friends will be understanding and you will stop feeling like you are carrying around a secret. 

Offline Alexco

• Posting Member
I could not agree with mthatch1 more... I am now 37 and will finally have my surgery in 7days, however I used to think to myself "how can money be separating me from my mental happiness" it just didnt seem fair. save up and dont wait too, too long... life goes by faster than you think. I hope this is usefull, I truly feel you buddy.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
If surgery seems to be your only answer, you should visit several plastic surgeons who frequently perform gyne surgery.  Many of them, like my own office, offer financing plans in which you can apply for a loan (you would need your folks to co-sign) and pay it off over a number of years.  Thus you would be able to get your surgery earlier rather than later. 

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline lou

• Posting Member
I cant say ive had any luck personally with any pills or working out.

I had the surgery and it went alright.  Im not 100% satisfied as one of my nips are bigger than the others now.  The smaller one looks normal but the left one is still the same size as before the surgery.  Its not fail safe

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024