Author Topic: My Surgery Experience - 1 day and 1 week post op (Dr. Bermant)  (Read 4182 times)

Offline randomname

• Posting Member
First, let me just say -- excellent, excellent site. Everyone that contributes deserves a huge thank you.

I started out in January with a consultation with Dr. Bermant. You're likely to have, at this point, read many "takes" here on Dr. Bermant's personality. I found him to be very professional. He is very clear on what expectations should be by the patient. He is very straightforward that he can not achieve perfection. However, looking at many of his post ops, you can tell he strives for the most natural look. I am anxious to see my initial results, but that comes on Monday.

My consultation in January went something like this:
- I filled out medical history forms.
- I was weighed.
- My BMI/Fat % taken via some electronic device you simply hold at arms length.
- Dr. Bermant interviewed/reviewed the medical details regarding Gynecomastia in general. Some questions:
  - This surgery is elective, and not necessary.
  - The body is asymmetric and perfection is not necessarily possible.
  - He will explain his Dynamic Technique as the solution for best results.
  - He stops at every stage for you to ask questions. I didn't have many, but if you do - ASK them! He will give concise answers.

- He has you essentially cop-a-feel of your own breast tissue to show the actual gyne portions.
- He measures and documents your breast proportions.
- There is a basic physical that he gives -- to help insure against endocrine problems I assume.

The price I was quoted at the time ended up matching exactly what I could afford. I wasn't prepared at the time to take such a close risk, so I saved longer and returned exactly 9 months later. If you find yourself in the same situation, do something to improve your health! I was able to drop my body fat percentage prior to the surgery. If the changes are drastic enough, you will require another consultation. Fortunately Dr. Bermant seemed to get everything he needed w/out the extra fees. Be prepared to pay them however. My impression of Dr. Bermant is that he will stick to his tried and true methods religiously -- just go with it, it is why he does so well.

I then came back on Friday for pre-op. Make sure you have taken your shower prior to the office visit! It is the last one for several days. They cover more of the same information. They ask for any questions. Dr. Bermant documents the gynecomastia with pictures, video, and audio recording. These are his property to use as he sees fit -- you sign these rights away. If that concerns you just be aware. The contract allows him to use your unidentifiable "images" for medical stuff but it is fairly open ended.

Queue my surgery yesterday. This is done in Dr. Bermant's facility.
Jane, as always, is hugely pleasant. All the office staff is very supportive and cordial -- so do not be concerned, they know why you're wanting the surgery. I arrived fully prepared, filled out a little more paperwork, and eventually made my way into the prep room. You are asked to undress fully. You will be in the drafty hospital gown. It does suck, but honestly I am fairly self conscious and I wasn't even thinking about it. You're overcome with the capitulation that you're about to close this chapter of your life (hopefully).

Jim the anesthetist is a cool guy. I wish I could describe him fully; he just has an amazingly light-hearted disposition. Ex: "I have a theory. I have heard that if you're under 24, you know what a 'wenis' is." Fortunately, I was able to prove him right. So if you didn't know this prior, and Jim asks, you have to say you learned on these boards and not in highschool. If you have Jim, don't worry, you're in good hands.

I wish I could remember the names of the two nurses in the OR. Either way, they were great too. All I remember is talking a little bit and then waking up hugely groggy. I think I remember them saying they removed more from my left side than my right. It is really really hazy. The haziness goes away very fast.

I didn't see Dr. Bermant after the surgery (I don't think anyways, I can't remember too well.) I was then put in the recovery area for about 45 minutes to metabolize the drugs off enough to regain much of my faculties. I walked out of the OR and the hired nurse drove me to Subway first, then to the hotel for like 5 hours. 6 hours by the time I got back to my car at the office.

The Richmond Airport Hotel is a fairly decent place to stay if you're looking. I was able to stay for $60/night which is about 33% off when staying 3 or more nights.

How I feel:
I gotta say, I think I'm in more pain than most that describe the surgery. It feels like a viciously hard chest workout -- like I did 5 sets of 15 chest hammers pushing my weight limit. It is just a little too much for extra strength tylenol, but half a Lortab 5 every 3 hours seems to be working perfectly. I think a full tablet would be too much. It isn't an unbearable pain.

I don't seem to be able to use my arms for much weight because my chest is so sore. Once on the edge of the bed, its slightly difficult to adjust to a more comfortable spot. Sleeping on my side at this point is painful. I probably had no pain medication in me when I went to bed though, so that may also be contributing to the discomfort. I am able to sleep on my stomach; have no fear stomach sleepers!

Anyways, I am craving more coffee. I am going to head down to the lobby and get some more!
I will post pictures later. I hope to provide updates during the recovery phase to contribute to this great community! Then I hope I can move on forever. =)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:42:22 PM by randomname »

Offline trojan213

• Bronze Member
Thanks for the post. Glad to hear things have gone well so far. Will follow your recovery with interest as I am pretty set on Bermant if I go through with surgery.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Offline randomname

• Posting Member
Just a few more comments...

Dr. Bermant said I'm not supposed to sleep on my stomach -- thus why I was feeling more pain. :) No stomach sleeping... got it.

I got to see my results today; so far they look awesome. Very minimal swelling and there appeared to be no bruising. The pain today is really in line with a tough chest workout -- 1 tylenol this morning and thats it.

On my way out the door, there were 3 other guys about my age in the waiting room. (~20 ya) Two of them I presume were patients. If even after finding this site you think this is a rare problem, and getting surgery is even more rare, don't be concerned. Granted, they could have been there for something else -- but still. When I came in for the markings on friday there was another guy ~20 ya waiting to see Dr. Bermant. If any of you read this site, good luck with your pursuits!

Offline IamFreeSummer2009

• Posting Member
My remote consult with Dr. Bermant is this week.  I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Any suggestions on questions to ask Dr. Bermant?

Any questions that you wished you had asked before hand?

You had the surgery Saturday?  Is this correct?  Was your follow up today (Monday)?  When are/did you traveling home?  Did you drive?  How was it?

I think that I will likely go unaccompanied.  How did it go with the private duty nurse.  Did that work out ok?

Thanks

Offline randomname

• Posting Member
My remote consult with Dr. Bermant is this week.  I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Any suggestions on questions to ask Dr. Bermant?
It all depends on how many questions he answers first in what is a fairly extensive debriefing. If you're like me, you have read much of the content on his site and others. If not, read it and get comfortable with what that information means for you. If you suspect endocrine problems, that is something I would discuss with Dr. Bermant. If you suspect other problems, such as medical history issues, I would discuss that with Dr. Bermant. My case was fairly straightforward with, as far as I could tell, nothing to complicate matters beyond an embarrassing case of gynecomastia.

Any questions that you wished you had asked before hand?
At this point, no - not really. I read his site inside and out. All the information you need, assuming no complicating factors, is there. If that information raises questions -- ask. His answers to your questions will be in reference to what he repeatedly affirms as his "Dynamic Technique." Make sure you know what that is, and more. As the patient, it is up to you to learn as much information as you can, without coming up with conclusions. (My philosophy) There is a degree of trust you place in the doctor by simply choosing that doctor. Dr. Bermant wants you to be informed, but you have to trust his judgment.

You had the surgery Saturday?  Is this correct?  Was your follow up today (Monday)?  When are/did you traveling home?  Did you drive?  How was it?
Yes. Initial follow up on Monday.
East Tennessee, so it is a 6 hour drive.
Driving sucks because you try very hard to not irritate the region. It isn't painful, but just hard to explain. Driving is doable, pain free (unless you overexert), but all the while you can feel your limits.

I think that I will likely go unaccompanied.  How did it go with the private duty nurse.  Did that work out ok?

First, I gotta say -- there was another guy, roughly 20 years old, waiting in the office with his dad when I was in the office on Friday for mark up. It kind of plucked the heart strings and would have been nice to have a family member there. Still, I was able to get the surgery with just 1 good friend aware of everything. It is certainly doable, but don't be surprised if you do feel a bit lonely at certain stages, especially if you are doing this free from family.

I went unaccompanied -- as you mentioned. Private duty nurse was awesome -- though I think he was very sleepy =P. Kim, or Ken, kinda pathetic I can't really remember - but it isn't like you repeatedly introduce yourself back and forth. We talked politics, but I seem to be able to do that easily w/out pissing people off. If you get heated with politics or religion, there are better topics to discuss.

Thanks

Glad I can contribute. Dr. Bermant is a good choice. Thus far, I can certainly say I am pleased with the dr/patient interaction. I am so far pleased with results, and ultimately, that is what this procedure is about. Keep hitting me with the questions and I'll do my best to answer them!

Offline IamFreeSummer2009

• Posting Member
Thanks for the input.  Interestingly I am also from ETenn.  Right now I thinking that i will do Thursday surgery so that I can get back him and recover Sat and Sun at home.

Definately continue to post so that we can keep up with your progress.

Offline randomname

• Posting Member
4 images attached. 2 preop 2 are 1 week postop.

I am now about 5 weeks post op and will try to get some pictures made shortly to post in addition.

And really, these preops make the asymmetry look even worse than I thought, like I'm leaning a little bit to exagerrate how bad it was -- but it was pretty bad no less. I am really happy with how much it helped to bring them a little closer to symmetrical.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024