Author Topic: No need for compression?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline NoMoreGyne05

• Posting Member
     I've frequented these boards for a few months now and learned alot of valuable information. The information here has prompted me to consult a PS and get my gynecomastia removed after many years of physical and mental anguish. Now that I'm only 1 day post-op the worrying starts.
    When I left the hospital it was done at, I asked the nurse if i need to wear any compression garment or ace bandage. She said that the Dr. doesnt require that patients wear anything like that after the surgery. I'm just worried about how my chest will end up looking if I dont use an ace bandage or compression vest for a period of time.
    Btw the surgery was done by a pediatric surgeon and he just did excision, no lipo, and has drains in for the next week. Also the area around my nipples is slightly sunk in. Is this normal or should it  be a cause for concern?  Thx for all your help!

Offline aux513s

• Silver Member
This should be a cause for great concern.

Yet another victim of doctor incompetence. Sometimes I wonder how these idiots even get through med school.

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.
Compression is probably a good idea.. but, don't worry about your chest being sunk in right now. Mine was, and it's filled out with time.
etc.

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
I don't believe compression affects the shape of your chest, only your recovery.  Compression is usually used with liposuction because the skin requires roughly 7 days to begin to stick to the new tissue (since what was previously there has been removed).  Since you only had lipo, I can see why he feels that no vest is necessary, however tissue has still been removed and the vest can only help your skin adhere to where your gland once was.

It would be a very good idea to wear a compression garment for a week or so.  Find a local shop in your city/town that sells those sorts of things and get one.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 12:45:02 AM by nukem2k5 »
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline rcbrown23

At the very least, go get an ACE wrap today and wrap it tightly around your entire chest.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 06:41:26 AM by rcbrown23 »

Offline NoMoreGyne05

• Posting Member
Im curently under house arrest(for recovery, Im not a criminal  :P), but I told my mother as she was leaving to pick up an ACE wrap from the store. So, as soon as she gets back I'll procede to wear it for atleast the next week until the post-op checkup with the dr. on the 3rd.

Thanx to all of you for the words of wisdom!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024