Author Topic: Klinefelter syndrome? Any signs?  (Read 5024 times)

Offline George12

• Posting Member
I have a few symptoms relative to Klinefelter syndrome. However, I don't have a low sperm count, and scarce body hair(I'm actually pretty hairy). How often does gynecomastia relate to this syndrome? I have wide hips and narrow shoulders and gyne, is this enough to say I have this syndrome?

Can a plastic surgeon diagnose this?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Klinefelter Syndrome is confirmed or not based upon genetic typing tests which are quite specific.

Many of the symptoms of Klinefelters could also be present in other conditions. Some of the symptoms are not really uncommon even in otherwise normal males.

It must be remembered that "Normal" is not a specific point, but includes everything within a rather wide range. With that in mind, it is easy enough to understand how some people could consider Gynecomastia within the total range of normal in many cases.
Grandpa Dan

Offline haisook

• Bronze Member
  • Hormones Deranged.
Klinefelter syndrome patients will usually have low testosterone and high LH & FSH. Also, sperm count of affected individuals is very low, and sometimes there is no sperm at all, even though erection and ejaculation is possible. Copious ejaculate does not necessarily include sperm. It could only be the prostate secretion.

Start with a hormonal blood testing of HCG, Testosterone, Estradiol, LH, and FSH. A sample of your venous blood will be checked for those hormones. If they are within the normal range, you most likely don't have the syndrome. Actually, all people presenting with gynecomastia should initially be evaluated by testing those hormones.

If you've already had your sperm count tested by a medical professional, and it was within the normal range, forget about all of this. You don't have the syndrome.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:19:59 AM by haisook »
I'm a medical student with gynecomastia. Yeah, medical professionals get it too.

Offline kingboob

Most people with klinefelter have very small testicles as well and are usually taller than average.......... can also suffer from social & learning issues which make life more difficult than average.

Simply having gyne isn't really a good indicator, and anyway the treatment is the same (surgical removal of the gyne)

You would need a hormone work up and genetic / karyotype testing to get a diagnosis either way.

DrBermant

I have a few symptoms relative to Klinefelter syndrome. However, I don't have a low sperm count, and scarce body hair(I'm actually pretty hairy). How often does gynecomastia relate to this syndrome? I have wide hips and narrow shoulders and gyne, is this enough to say I have this syndrome?

Can a plastic surgeon diagnose this?
There are many Symptoms of Klinefelter's Syndrome. All of the many patient's I have examined with this condition have very small testicles.  Not all are tall, there are two distinct body types as shown on that link and subsequent pages.  When a patient has Red Flags pointing to a possible undiagnosed Klinefelter Syndrome problem, I refer that patient to an Endocrinologist for an appropriate evaluation. Unfortunately there are many conditions that can cause hypogonadism and other medical causes of gynecomastia.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024