Author Topic: I need advice  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
Hi
I have been following these boards for some time and I have decided I need to talk to people with similar problems.This might be quite a long post but I will try to keep it as concise as possible.
Iam from the UK and gyne came to me when I was 24 years old, Iam now 25. I got it at that age because of a drug called quetiapine, an antipsychotic.This is where things get complicated as when I was 21 I became mentally ill where I thought there was something wrong with my appearance (there wasn't). I saw a psychiatrist who perscribed me itas I was getting paranoid that girls were laughing at me due to my appearance.
           Anyway it worked to a degree and although I could not get back to work as I used to be a Police Officer ,I at least was functioning.Then  I noticed a pain above my ribs in one side of my chest , not in the nipple, just around the breast bone and one side of my chest was enlarged more than the other side. I went to see my GP  who referred me to an endo, had all the tests and they came back normal. After reading what 'hypo 'said I repeatedly went back for second opinions saying the doctos were wrong as they had not tested for this or that. Anyway I had about 10 blood tests before I was banned from seeing the endo!
It was confirmed I had gyne ,mainly fat as Iam also hugely overweight. I was referred then to a breast surgeon who said it was not cancer who then referred me to a plastic surgeon.
This is on the NHS (free health care). Anyway she is according to the doctors hugely experienced.  She said again it was mainly in one side with a bit of excessive breast tissue but mostly fat.She said that liposuction would be best to start with as it is mailnly fat and is less invasive than the other option. She also said that as it was cosmetic and not mainly gland it would be difficult for the NHS to fund it. I saw her in January this year.
          I have not heard anything since then. I have no money to fund the op myself and cannot borrow money.My parents think it is not nearly as bad as I think and I need to lose weight. To be fair My belly is much bigger than my chest and my BMI is 29. When I read on this site that fitness will do nothing and the only option is surgery I get extremely depressed. It is not the worst case on this site probably a moderate case. I can't see them funding the op as although Iam not taking antipsychotics anymore Iam stillseeing a psychiatrist and more than likely if they did do it I would not be happy anyway. I really would like to exercise as I look like Iam preganant anyway without the breasts but when I see 'it could make worse' spouted on here all the time I just stay in my flat.I used to have a six pack and was extremely fit. It is like Iam being punished for imagining problems, now I HAVE a problem if you see what I mean.
         What should I do? Should I get fit ? will the fat on my chest go if I lose the weight?.Has anyone on here made things a bit better when the gyne is mainly fat based? I know if it is gland then it won't go this way but what about if it is just about all fat?Ia getting quite upset due to this.

Offline doddy

• 06/04/2005.
I think you should lose some weight to start. Once you're down at a more sensible weight, then start to consider the gyne.

Good luck.
etc.

Offline serg

• Silver Member

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I agree with doddy and serg, drop some weight and get fit. Then, if you are still not happy with your chest, consult a PS.

They actually 'banned' you from going to the Endo?

Post some pics if you can....

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
LOL yes I was banned. Iam a complete hypochrondriac and I was convinced my hormones were all wrong because of my weight and tiredness etc. The Gynecomastia when it occured made me totally lose it. I repeatedly went to the endo who in the end refused to see me as he said there is nothing wrong and Iwas wasting his time.
I then went to my GP to try to see another endo and was told there is nothing wrong and he will not let me see anyone else due to the fact there is no point. To be honest the doctors faces fall when I walk in (oh god I don't need this today look). One even told me to 'bugger off' once. Thanks for the replys.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
LOL yes I was banned. Iam a complete hypochrondriac.

You should have used 'hypochondriac' as your user name for this Site!  ;D

John.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Perhaps we should qualify Physical Fitness.  Since you are admitting of obesity, Fitness could mean nothing more than getting your weight under control and doing some agressive aerobic walking or running.  If that is what you mean, then it may well reduce your gynecomastia as a part of your overall weight loss.

If a person of lean build exercizes and lifts weights to gain muscle,  it will likely not have much impact on the gynecomastia.

Epitaph on the gravestone of a Hypochondriac: "I told you I was sick."

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 12:06:47 AM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!

Epitaph on the gravestone of a Hypochondriac: "I told you I was sick."

Good Luck!

word!
... and the saga continues

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024