Author Topic: Compression vest + BinD?? (pics)  (Read 11972 times)

Offline theprodikalson

• Posting Member
So0o I am 3 days post op and was given a compression vest to wear with a tight bind that wraps around me.  The first night after the surgery I had some drainage, but not much.  Now it seems that my lemons are all squeezed and nothing else is gonna drain from them.  I have underarmor shirts that feel tighter than this compression vest thing.

Did anyone else have to wear this bind thing?
Peace and Love

Offline Florida Guy

• Posting Member
So0o I am 3 days post op and was given a compression vest to wear with a tight bind that wraps around me.  The first night after the surgery I had some drainage, but not much.  Now it seems that my lemons are all squeezed and nothing else is gonna drain from them.  I have underarmor shirts that feel tighter than this compression vest thing.

No, that's jacked up.

A compression vest should be very tight to the point where it is slightly uncomfortable.
Gyno surgery three times

Offline apollo_kid

My doc told me to take mine off like after 3 days because I was a risk at additional bleeding at the time and didn't want the vest to aggravate the area anymore, It might take longer for the swelling to go down but thats it..... also Im lean anyway so there is not much really to harness in.... I will be looking for some tight armor like tanks or something....

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
After years of doing gyne surgery, I have come to the conclusion that really snug compression is essential for good results and adequate healing.  I tell all my patients that wearing a compression garment for at least 3-4 weeks is truly a pain in the neck -- but a necessary one.  It is one somewhat uncomfortable month out of a lifetime which will give you a lifetime with a great chest -- a good compromise.

The snug compression garment also allows me to eliminate the use of drains in my practice -- maybe I use one or two drains a year, if that.

Interestingly, many of my patients get used to it fairly quickly -- and then feel "less secure" when they eventually remove it.

Overall:  the more smooth, snug compression, the better you will heal.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Each surgeon has his or her own systems to achieve their results. In order to maximize my patients' Comfort After Gynecomastia Surgery, I wanted to evolve my techniques to use only a single layer of Chest Compression Garment. This single layer garment is much more comfortable than multiple layers of pressure. Variable pressure device such as binders and ace wraps can put a great deal of additional variable compression on healing tissues. In addition, putting too much pressure on tissue can compromise blood supply to tissue. Using a before surgery calibrated pressure, in my opinion, is much safer to optimize tissue survival. Rarely, I will add an Ace Wrap for additional pressure, that seems to be needed about once every 3 or so years.

With this single layer compression it is very unusual for me to need a drain for my chest sculpture, perhaps 1 or so a year. Proof of this system working is my Bruising and Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery. Yes that is normal, typical bruising and swelling my patients experience. Not all doctors will show early after surgery pictures. To compare techniques bruising and swelling with photos you need to hunt them down in this forum.

For my patients comfort, I also many years ago moved to a sealed After Gynecomastia Surgery Dressing System. This eliminates wet garments and drainage for all but the most extensive of my Skin Reduction Chest Lift patients where that extensive a plastic seal is not practical.

Staying with what your doctor designed can be important. Modification can result in problems, especially if that additional pressure is needed to compensate for the surgical technique used.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline dukamata

• Posting Member
Is it too late to start using an underarmour shirt or compression vest 4 weeks after surgery.  I wore the compression dressing for 3 days after and thats it.  Still some swelling and fluid under nipples.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is never too late to wear snug compression -- it can only help, it cannot hurt at all.

If you still have post-op swelling, it might be beneficial for you.  Try it!!

Dr Jacobs

Offline dwl

• Posting Member
Since we're discussing vests - is it ok to take it off for an hour here or there.  I'm 8 days post, and it drives me crazy.   I've taken it off for showers, but other than that, it's on 24/7.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Sure, an hour or so here or there is OK -- but the ideal is continuous, snug compression.

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

Is it too late to start using an underarmour shirt or compression vest 4 weeks after surgery.  I wore the compression dressing for 3 days after and thats it.  Still some swelling and fluid under nipples.

The power of a First Stage Compression Vest for comforts, bruising, and swelling starts in the operating room. Prevention of these issues is much better than trying to catch up. That is why each of my patients are fitted for both garments before surgery and leave the operating room with the vest on.

4 weeks after surgery some patients are still in Phase 1 or protection of tissue. The pressure and stabilization of tissues tend to increase comfort. No pressure from surgery to 4 weeks can mean slower healing and more likely to still be in Phase 1. The bottom line, if the Gynecomastia Compression Vest feels better on than off, that individual is still in this Phase 1.

Phase 2 compression is for the scars. Scars that evolve under pressure do much better than scars without pressure. A Stage 2 Compression Garment works best for this.

Not all brands offer the same degree of compression nor comfort.

Since we're discussing vests - is it ok to take it off for an hour here or there.  I'm 8 days post, and it drives me crazy.   I've taken it off for showers, but other than that, it's on 24/7.

How long a patient is safe to be out of a vest depends on the problem treated, what was done and many other factors best discussed with the operating surgeon. For my patients, I prefer to individualize their care. It is rare that my patients cannot be out of a vest for a short time 24 hours after surgery (such as to shower) unless there is a major dissection such as a chest lift or some of my revision patients.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline dukamata

• Posting Member
Thank you Dr. Jacobs for your response.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are most welcome -- my pleasure.

Dr Jacobs

Offline dukamata

• Posting Member
I was on the site provided by Dr. Bermant regarding the compression vests.  Since its only a little over a month, I still have some swelling particularly under the nipples, should I get the stage one vest which is adjustable or stage two vest?

Thank you.

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
The stage one vest is used just after surgery to enable you to get into it without too much squirming around.  You are now past that stage -- would opt for stage two garment -- and get one as snug as possible.

Dr Jacobs

DrBermant

I was on the site provided by Dr. Bermant regarding the compression vests.  Since its only a little over a month, I still have some swelling particularly under the nipples, should I get the stage one vest which is adjustable or stage two vest?

Thank you.

A Stage 2 vest can damage tissues still healing especially one that is too tight for a patient's body. Almost all of my patients are into their Stage 2 vests before 1 month. However, we fit each patient with both garments before surgery to eliminate guesswork of fit and provide the education of what it is like getting one of these garments on their chest.  When in doubt, the Stage 1 is safer but does not provide as much pressure for scar care and looks surgical with the velcro and hooks / eyes.

Such questions are best directed to your own surgeon who if familiar with your specifics.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024