Author Topic: Ace bandage  (Read 4862 times)

Offline sean88

• Posting Member
Hey I will be 11 days post op going back to University and was wondering if I could get away with a well wrapped ace bandage around the chest area. Its summer here and its hot.. this bulky compression vest is very noticeable and I would prefer not wearing it.

DrBermant

Hey I will be 11 days post op going back to University and was wondering if I could get away with a well wrapped ace bandage around the chest area. Its summer here and its hot.. this bulky compression vest is very noticeable and I would prefer not wearing it.

This is a question for your own doctor. Although some doctors advocate ace bandages, I do not use them for my patients with rare exceptions. These bandages tend to slip, can put a dangerous amount of pressure on the healing tissues, and are generally much more uncomfortable than an appropriately fitted After Surgery Compression Garment.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Ace bandages can apply too much or too little pressure -- there is no regulation as to how much pressure it will exert.  Thus, you may be hurting your healing process with too much pressure (which can decrease much needed blood flow to the surgical site) or too little pressure (which would allow for excess swelling).  Also, an ace bandage can be difficult for one to apply on oneself.  I never use an ace bandage for these reasons.  A properly fitting vest or compression garment is far more preferable.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024