Author Topic: I took off compression vest. bad effects?  (Read 8654 times)

Offline shattered3559

hi,

I had surgery about 2 weeks ago. The healing is going great, but after a week of wearing the compression vest, I was getting annoyed with it. I decided to wear a small under armor vest for a couple days. Now I realized that the under armor shirt is not as tight as a compression vest. Since I did not wear the compression vest for 2 days, will this affect healing dramatically?

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
Why the heck didn't you follow your surgeon's instructions?

Offline shattered3559

^my question was clearly not answered.

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
The reason why the surgeon tells you to wear the compression vest is because they believe it will help control post-operative swelling. We don't know if post-operative that is not properly contained can lead to longterm "bad effects" - hence why the surgeon tells you to wear the compression vest. Are you taking a risk? Yes. Is it a large risk? There's no way of knowing. My surgeon told me that post-op the more compression I had the better my results would be... After spending 6 thousand dollars, I'm not about to test my surgeon's instructions. You probably shouldn't, either.

Offline shattered3559

I know it was a mistake to take off the compression vest. I did however wear an under armor shirt, which also did compression, but not as good as the compression vest. I was a bit too broad with saying that I did not wear the compression vest for 2 days. I have worn the compression vest every night. However, I did take it off for a few hours for 2 days.

Offline damonsta

• Posting Member
the compression vest is good because it helps your chest stick to the chest wall but to be honest with you i did the same thing an i haven't noticed anything to be too concern about. the only thing that i know wouldn't of happened was that i developed a pocket of plasma about an inch in diameter next to my nipple on the right side, but the doc told me that my body will dissolve it into the body.but im 1 month post op and some times i don't even wear my under armor shirt. but i consider my surgery to be minor, and i talked to my surgeon before making the decision to stop wearing compression vest.

Offline Whiff

• Bronze Member
I didn't follow the instructions either as basically i had social events i had to attend. I obviously don't know if it had an impact as i don't know how i would have looked if i had followed instructions but I'm pleased with the results. none the less my advice to anyone reading this would be to follow the surgeons instructions.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024