Author Topic: Translation, please? (hormone results)  (Read 3369 times)

Offline rcbrown23

Just did another test and they sent me back the results. I am used to the higher numbers (testosterone 400-900) and they sent it the other way. I forgot how to translate from one to the other...help. It was times that # by 3 or something...

estradiol = 1.3pg/ml
testosterone = 81 pg/ml

Thanks

Offline hdpilot

• Posting Member
<<<Just did another test and they sent me back the results. I am used to the higher numbers (testosterone 400-900) and they sent it the other way. I forgot how to translate from one to the other...help. It was times that # by 3 or something...

estradiol = 1.3pg/ml
testosterone = 81 pg/ml >>>>

I just had mine done for the first time a few weeks ago, and the "normal range" for an adult male listed on the chart they gave me was:

Estradiol:  less than 54 pg/ml
Testoserone:  7.2- 24.0 pg/ml

So you seem to have a great estradiol and a testosterone that's off the charts.

Offline allbah

• Bronze Member
I had long discussion with hypo about this issue here http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1120138711

these results should not be analysed by anybody. first thing these results are part of your screen not the full picture so no body should attempt to interpret them.
second you need to know the reference range of your hospital lab. thirdly its not clear how old you are, how heavy you are and what time these tests were done. forth becareful with the units used next to the hormone level. fifth go and have a chat with the doctor who did them sooooon.
one can never prepare to win a war, but one can prepare not to be defeated.

Offline hypo

There is no problem at all in giving a layman’s interpretation of what is there once the reference ranges are obtained.

Of course the fact is the information is incredibly limited because these results are, .well simply two results and offer a very limited picture.

Given the nature of the molecular ranges and the limitation of what was tested, I would not be surprised if this was some saliva home test kit.

Of course this may not be the case; I’m just saying it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

In any event the results are useless without reference ranges.  

Offline rcbrown23

I already had the full checkup and results a couple months ago. I just took a saliva test to check my status on test and estadiol...but the last results were in the other format (somehting like 500 testosterone).

I'm really not asking for advice or anything, just wondering if someone knew how to convert from this format to the one I'm used to. The scale was like test = 240 - 900 (normal) estradiol = 10 - 50 (normal).

Offline hypo

I'm sorry Rc but I fear you are yet another victim of a poor quality saliva test.

I am virtually certain that your testosterone will not be through the roof (3 and a half times the maximum highest normal testosterone level if this test was to be believed), but low normal as seen in previous tests.

I myself had a saliva test last year and then three days later had blood tests.  My testosterone level on TRT according to the saliva test was something 430pg/ml!!!

But the blood test revealed a level well inside the normal range at 18nmol/l (reference range 10-29nmol/l.

Saliva tests (I have not come across a reliable one yet) are supposed to measure free testosterone, so they do not convert into the units you are used to seeing as you previously had tests for serum testosterone.

As for your estradiol level, well if it can come back with such a poor indicator of your androgen status I would quite frankly not trust anything when looking to estradiol.

Until hospitals start using saliva tests- I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole- if they aren't good enough for the hospital they're not good enough for me.

There might be the odd commercial saliva test out there that accurately measures androgens and estrogens, but I would not waste my time and money trying to find out the hard way.

P.S

Sorry I had to be the messenger :-[

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024