Author Topic: Planning surgery in Bangalore - Need advice  (Read 2613 times)

Offline desperado39

Hi Guys,
I am new to the forum. I am overweight and have moobs. It looks an extreme case (could be combination of fat and glands). Don't have patience to exercise any more. Have already tried that and failed. I'm thinking of undergoing surgery in Manipal (Dr.Anantheshwar). Can you please help me on the following :
1. What would be the cost? I'm confused as different guys have mentioned different rates. Some said theirs was within 35k, others have mentioned 50+ k.
2. Totally how many days should I take leave from office? I wanna stay at home until the drains are removed :)
3. Will the surgery marks be prominent post-op whenever I'm bar-chested (as in a beach/pool or just outta shower etc.)
4. Will the compression vest be visible if I wear a shirt or tshirt over it all the time? I stay alone, so it matters only when I go out.
5. Is it mandatory to wear the compression vest every single day without fail post-op? For how long do I have to wear it?
6. Is it necessary that a family member/friend is with you post-surgery? Can we manage alone to go to bathroom, eat etc. even if nobody is there?
7. How to fix an appointment with Dr. Anantheswar? Can I call him up and discuss over phone all the details before meeting him?

These are the questions in mind for now. Will post again if I get more doubts. Eagerly waiting for your helpful advices and suggestions.

Offline gyne_nomore

• Posting Member
1. What would be the cost? I'm confused as different guys have mentioned different rates. Some said theirs was within 35k, others have mentioned 50+ k. - The cost of the surgery varies for each individual. It also depends on whether their are any complications during or after the surgery. Finally it depends on the type of ward - general vs. semi spl vs. spl. In my case, I went for general ward and there were no complications so it cost me 35k. In semi-spl, this would have cost me abt 55k.In any case,Manipal will ask for a deposit of 50k for general ward and around 70k for semi-spl. They refund the remaining money after the surgery
2. Totally how many days should I take leave from office? I wanna stay at home until the drains are removed Smiley - Every doctor has his own funda when it comes to drains. some doctors put them only in rare cases, some put them in every case. Some remove them when drain volume becomes less than 30 ml, some @ 10 ml. In your case, Dr. Anateswar puts them in all cases and removes after the drain volume has gone below 10 ml on both sides.In my case it took 4 days for the volume to go down to <10 ml. But it varies for every patient and there is no way to predict. I would recommend budget 5 days for this.
3. Will the surgery marks be prominent post-op whenever I'm bar-chested (as in a beach/pool or just outta shower etc.) - The marks will be prominent for at least 1-2 months. The doctor told me if i wear the comp vest for 6 months no one will be able to make out even on close inspection. I am 10 days post my surgery and the marks are absolutely hideously prominent right now. :)

4. Will the compression vest be visible if I wear a shirt or tshirt over it all the time? I stay alone, so it matters only when I go out. - I feel the compression vest created by Asif for me is rubbish. It is too tight and stifling. And it will show under the neck of the t-shirt. You need to chk with the doc if you can wear crepe bandages or something instead. Or find someone on this forum who is satisfied with his vest
5. Is it mandatory to wear the compression vest every single day without fail post-op? For how long do I have to wear it? - You have to wear it day and night all the time. I take off mine for 30 minutes twice a day. How long to wear? every doctor has his own answer here too. Some say 1 week, some say 6 months. Dr Ananteswar says 6 months. I guess it depends on how long you can bear it and when you feel your chest shape has become good enough for you. I am seriously exploring wearing bandages instead of vest at night. But i need to check with the doc.
6. Is it necessary that a family member/friend is with you post-surgery? Can we manage alone to go to bathroom, eat etc. even if nobody is there? - I personally think its hard. You may need to pee in a bottle while lying or sitting on the bed for the first day. This is because you will be attached to a drip and the 2 drains. And I needed to pee abt 5 times on day 1. I could not pee lying or sitting so would get off the bed and stand close to my drip and then pee in the bottle. If you have no one with you please ensure that the bell to call the nurse is right next to your hand as your arm mobility can be very limited and you will have to call the nurse for many things like peeing, getting up, eating etc. Other thing is in the general ward, you will have 1 small space to keep your stuff in the room (that you share with 2 other guys). Where do you keep stuff like money, phone, ipod etc.
7. How to fix an appointment with Dr. Anantheswar? Can I call him up and discuss over phone all the details before meeting him? Call Manipal, ask for plastic surgery dept and book an appointment with him. He will most likely not talk on the phone (you will not reach him on the phone easily).

Offline desperado39

Thanks a lot gyne for your prompt replies ! These suggestions matter a lot :). Hope you're enjoying your 'free' life now and I hope to join you on the other side of the fence soon!

Offline gyne_nomore

• Posting Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024