Author Topic: It it okay to take the garment off after only 11 days?  (Read 3982 times)

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
I'm 11 days post op and the compression garment is driving me crazy. It's uncomfortable to wear + it digs in the side of my pectoral muscles; I'm worried the resulting depression in the flesh will stay like that! The literature given to me by my surgeon stated that the garment must be worn for 2 weeks, and then worn for 12hrs a day only for a further week. I'm ready to jump straight to the 12hrs a day stage right now! I'm just wondering if it's wise to do so?

Offline waves

• Silver Member

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
After the surgery (which is a "controlled" injury), the body wants to react by swelling.  There is no set date by which the body decides "OK, I don't think there is a need to swell anymore."  In my practice, I urge my patients to wear the compression garments for at least four weeks after surgery.  And even then, when they remove it, they note some tendency to swell.

In your case, it is the discomfort of the compression garment that is driving you nuts.  Why not contact your surgeon and ask about alternative garments?  Or shop some of the garments mentioned elsewhere on this forum?  You could also try wearing something under the compression garment to make it fit more comfortably.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline emanresu

• Silver Member
Thanks for the replies.

It bothers me sometimes because I have lymphatic issues which sometimes make my back and chest very itchy. The garment makes it even worse. Oh well, one hopes the result will be worth it.

I took the garment off for a few hours yesterday but decided to put it back on again seeming as there's only a few days to go, then it'll only been worn at night only. I might keep it on fulltime longer than the 2 prescribed weeks just to counteract swelling + help to keep everything in shape.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024