Author Topic: was confident about surgery....but now confused....plz help docs  (Read 2149 times)

Offline rayofhope

• Posting Member
Hi,
I am 23 years old and it’s been two years since I realised my condition, must have been there though for quite some time....I guess the eye opener was being surrounded by mirrors in the gym getting to view all profiles of myself and since then life has never been the same. In these two years I have tried pills, subscribed to magazines but all efforts to vain.
I finally decide to undergo surgery and consulted a well reputed doctor from where I belong with all intentions to go under the knife.
But in my preliminary consultation I never expected him to even mention anything about skin tightening, which apparently he did. He said there was going to be a circular scar around the darker skin of the areola. He said so because in his opinion
1.   Skin has been stretched due to severe case gynecomastia (80 % gland and 20 % fat).
2.   Weight fluctuations between 66 and 72 kilos....only because I was trying to lose weight because of my condition but didn’t work....otherwise its 70-72

Since then i have searched about skin tightening on the internet and i have got mixed reviews with certainty of prominent scars which i don’t really want because I wouldn’t want people to know about my surgery...I have a fairly hairy chest though.
Searching the internet i came across a members (gyne28) post on this forum...and with further proceedings I got know he has been to the same doctor that i had been to and was facing a similar problem as i am. I have to say his queries were answered with such great expertise by the surgeons over here....that i could only wish I could get guidance like that....I really do.
Please doctors let me know of your opinions coz I really need them to make my decisions and live the life I lived two years ago I so long desire.
My Details
1.   Age – 23
2.   Height – 5’11”
3.   Weight – 69 ( +/- 4)
Thanks in advance and god bless

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
It's difficult to comment fully without examining you, but at least based on your photos, it doesn't look like you'd require skin excision.  The amount of weight fluctuation you describe is not that much, and you're young.  I'd think the skin would retract following a procedure combining liposuction and excision.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline rayofhope

• Posting Member
Thanks a ton Dr. Silverman for your valuable inputs....I as a layman felt just as you did....and hence I am really disappointed because I was pretty confident on that particular surgeon....and I really feel I have only two options either going with him or choosing someone else all together....bcoz I feel he felt it had to be done in a certain way and by me refusing skin incision might just disrupt the surgery model he initially perceived which I believe will be his primary reference(human behaviour).

Having said that I do not want to take names but I have been following some active surgeon’s procedures and results on this forum and they are all so very impressive.
I browsed through your website and you have particular pics of skin incision and they all scream perfection...that I am kind of feeling positive about it....but again different surgeon and different techniques.

I don’t know if I am crossing the line here but can you tell me what’s the best procedure for skin incision and if a complete circular scar around the areola is a decent procedure. Please let me know if it’s fine with you

Once again thanks

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
If you require an incision around the areola to reduce the size of the areola and also to tighten the skin, it is a perfectly acceptable technique, but it doesn't look like you need it. You would certainly not need a more extensive procedure, in my opinion.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024