Author Topic: More Endocrinologist Questions  (Read 3212 times)

Offline brama

• Bronze Member
Does everyone who has Gyne. surgery definitely see an endocrinologist first?
Besides taking blood, exactly what else takes place at the visit?

Must you get naked and is there any "genital fondling" (which I dread)?
Thanks  a lot

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
It’s important to understand that gynecomastia is caused by an imbalance in Oestrogens to Androgens.  There may be many causes for this, the most common one being temporary changes that occur to our endocrine system during puberty.  If the changes were temporary causing some breast growth, then more often than not the breast growth recedes in a year or so.  However sometimes the growth does not recede although the hormones have returned to balance.

It’s also important to remember that sometimes there are other causes.  They are many and varied, but they all come down to this imbalance in Androgens to Oestrogens.  Now the way I see it is this.  What is the point of going into surgery if you are not sure that the breasts will grow again?  All that worry, expense and recuperation would have to be repeated.  If there is an underlying problem .. get it sorted first.  An Endocrinologist is the expert on your hormones.  A quick check by him or her will be able to tell you if your hormones are ok and that your Gyne was a ‘one off’ thing.  If all is well then you can consider surgery having confidence that it will not re-grow.  What price peace of mind?

In answer to your first question, I think everyone with gyne should see an Endocrinologist for the reasons I have given above.

As far as the examination is concerned I can only say what happened to me, but remember these people are there to help you.  They have seen more naked bodies than you can shake a stick at.  They don’t care what size or colour your genitals are; basically you have a problem and they are trying to solve it.  Let them help you.

A full medical history is taken, questions about general health, when the gyne appeared, any drugs taken etc.  Tell the Endo the truth, they aren’t there to judge or chastise, they are there to help.  There will be a general physical examination listening to your heart, lungs, blood pressure etc.  There will almost certainly be an examination of your gyne and your testicles.  Don’t panic.  They are trying to find out if there are any lumps or abnormalities in your testes.  They won’t be embarrassed because they have seen more parts of the human body than you or I can imagine.  In fact I was surprised at how relaxed I felt. I was there with a problem and these people were going to help me fix it.

Good luck and don’t worry.

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline brama

• Bronze Member

Thanks a lot for the info :  )
I agree with you that we should all see an endocrinologist, but why then do so many men from this messag board come back with all "normal" results when they do go?
I havent heard of anyone having to take any medication in order to correct the underlying hormonal imbalance (or whatever). It seems like everyone just goes, gets tested and they are fine(?).

Is there anyone here who needed any medication or "fixing" from the endo. when youve gone?
Thanks again

Gine2D

When you get your hormones tested the result will come back with a range of "normal".

If you are in your 20s & the total testosterone result  is 240 in a range of 200 to 800 a doctor that does not know much about hormones will say you are fine.  That is the "fine" for an 85 year old man.  Yours should be in the upper 1/3 of the range.

If you estrogen is even tested & it comes bak with a level of 50 in a range of 20 to 52 the doctor that does not know much about hormones will say you are fine.  That is the "fine" for a 60 year old woman or 90 year old man.  Yours should be in the lower 1/3 of the range.

Always get a copy of YOUR test results with the ranges for your medical file at home.

A good endo is to help you correct a medical problem.
That is how he earns his living.

A PS is there to fix a cosmetic problem by doing surgery.
That is how he earns his living.

They both do it for the money, but have vastly different goals toward your well being.

G
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 01:16:15 PM by Gine2D »

Offline bornagain

• Posting Member
damn, man.  you're actually really helpful.  thanks for all your responses!

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
1.      I echo Gine2D’s comments completely.  “Normal” is a word to be taken with caution unless it’s from an Endocrinologist who knows their stuff.  As he says, a General Practitioner or another doctor who is not an Endo really won’t be able to interpret the results properly.  If you have any doubts take your results to another Endo.  There are people on here that can interpret them, but remember we are not doctors.

2.      In answer to your second point ...... “Is there anyone here who needed any medication or "fixing" from the endo?”

Yes there are.  I don’t have the statistics to hand but I think around 10% of sufferers have an ongoing hormonal problem that needs to be fixed (better informed people will be able to quote the figure exactly).  In many of these cases gynecomastia is the first real symptom of a deeper medical problem they didn’t know they had.  Such problems can range from tumours of the pituitary, adrenal, thyroid, testes and many more; genetic disorders; hypogonadism; renal failure; thyrotoxicosis.  The list goes on.

There are several sufferers on here that I know of who have had some of these problems.  Some can be fixed with a one stop surgery, some can’t, and some need a lifetime of hormone replacement therapy.

But don’t be alarmed by all these possibilities.  You asked if anyone “needed fixing by an Endo”, and the simple answer is yes, including me.  This is why I’m a great proponent of getting checked by an Endo before having surgery.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 08:45:26 PM by Time_to_fix_it »

Offline brama

• Bronze Member
Thanks, time to fix it. I totally see your point.
When the time comes Ill definitely go see one, its just that I have no insurance and cant afford almost another $1000 for another doctor right now.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024