Author Topic: Having surgery done  (Read 1541 times)

Offline naver

• Posting Member
Well like many of you, I've had this problem for most of my life, ever since I was maybe 10/12 years old. I'm am currently 19. Until recentely I didn't think much could be done about it. My family doctor has had me run around doing all kinds of tests. I've had my chest scanned twice, my head as well(which was a very uncomfortable exeperience actually), blood work, urine tests etc and no one seemed to find anything wrong with me, hormonal or otherwise. My chest scans revealed that there is no breast tissue only fat. The first endocrinologist I went to was a total ass, he told me that I was just very fat and to get over it, this coming from a guy at least twice my size. The second endocrinologist, a woman this time, told me to go on a diet and if that didn't help go for plastic surgery. Well I've been dieting for a bit now and lost 60 pounds since last year, only 20 pounds to go till I reach my goal. But, while my chest visibly decreased in size, there is still plenty left over. So a few weeks back, I went to see my family doctor again, and she scheduled an appointment with a surgeon, who agreed that I needed surgery done and sent me to a local hospital to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon. At the hospital, the plastic surgeon told me that my health insurace would cover it and schedualed surgery for the 9th of this month. He explained the procedure to me, which I kind of understood but not entirely(I live in Israel, previously from Canada and I don't know Hebrew anywhere near as well as I need to, to understand medical terms). He told me that I'd need to buy a chest compressor vest at the hospital store and that I would stay at the hosptal for two days. I'm getting the surgery done at the Wolfson Hospital in Tel Aviv if that is of interest to anyone. He also said that because I didn't have any actual breast tissue, the surgery would be of no risk to my health and that I wouldn't be able to do any heavy lifting for 2 weeks. Now next month, at an undecided date, I will be off to the army, I've already gone through basic training and will be serving as a tech in the airforce in all likelyhood, the first few months will be filled with classes that will prepare us for our work there.
Now he said that as long as it isn't physical training it should be fine, but I'm getting worried about swelling, blood and whatnot after reading all the posts here.
Am I worrying my self for nothing? Is there anything you think I should no beforehand? Any Advice?
Wish me luck

Offline ItsOK

• Bronze Member
  • Glorp.
Good luck.

My only advice would be to make sure that the language problem doesn't get in the way of your having a full understanding of what's happening and what is expected of you.  If you're OK not having a 100% picture of the surgical procedure, that's fine . . . but be absolutely sure that you do have 100% understanding of what to expect in the recovery process and what you're expected to do.  Not only will this reduce your stress, but it will allow you to judge whether there's a problem that warrants visiting the doctor.

I say this because I've been in this position of trying to understand what someone was telling me in a language that I don't speak well, and being hesitant to look stupid by admitting that I didn't understand.  In most cases, it doesn't matter that much, but when you're talking about a medical procedure, bite the bullet and look like an idiot if that's what it takes to be sure that you understand perfectly.

And try to stay out of combat while you're healing . . .

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024