Author Topic: To tell or not to tell...  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Novafan

I am thinking about telling my parents about my lil gyne problem.  In recent days they have noticed me feeling my chest and have asked me if everything was alright/had I pulled something working out.  Wouldn't now be the perfect opportunity to come out and say something.  

If I were to tell them, it would be telling my mom (a nurse) that I feel lumpy things in my chest.  I would tell her they get sore/uncomfortable.  This would freak her out because there is a long history of breast cancer in my family.  I would be seeing a doctor within days (right before vacation and college).  If there is any hope of insurance coverage this would be the route to take.

Why am I hesistant?
-My parents are stingy when it comes to spending their money on me (although my mom always goes top-of the line when it comes to medical issues).  She would only want to get it done if it was covered by insurance and/or a medical risk for them to remain.

-I recently saw a plastic surgeon for stiches on my head.  We were filling out the patient form and my mom read through all the procedures he performs.  What got me is she specifically pointed out 'male breast reduction' and laughed!  I responded, I need that, or soemthing to that effect.  Her response: No you dont.  And I mean my gyne is a very small case, very easy to hide and I havent really gotten any comments regarding it.   However I have become consumed by it.  I am in very good shape, have dieted down to 170 lbs but still dont look like I want.  This would really clear up my mind and help me as an individualy.  I have grown unhappy, isolated and refuse to eat/drink.  

Why I should tell them?
-Possibly help through insurance.  While I have the funds saved up for surgery, I really had them there for graduate/law school and when starting my career.  BTW I really never treat myself to anything and I really think its time to start.

-Would not have to go through this alone/hide it.  Would be kind of tough.

Well sorry about the length of this post, but any advice would be awesome.  Even talking about it frees up my mind some!

I dread going through another year of lifting, dieting, and working with these things!

Offline brooknam10

• Posting Member
if its not realy a problem, whay concern yourself? soudns me me itsnot realy a physical problem more of a mental thing, but then again so is any case? i think when you dont want to leave your bedroom and cant deal with people becasue of it you need surgery, but its its as simple as puffy nipples i wouldnt convern my self with the embarasmeent of actualy geting a "breast reduction".

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
if its not realy a problem, whay concern yourself? soudns me me itsnot realy a physical problem more of a mental thing, but then again so is any case? i think when you dont want to leave your bedroom and cant deal with people becasue of it you need surgery, but its its as simple as puffy nipples i wouldnt convern my self with the embarasmeent of actualy geting a "breast reduction".

I know I'm not always grammatically correct and I make spelling errors as well but dude, double check what you have typed before you post.  My 2 year old wouldn't make as many errors.  

Offline Achilles

• Silver Member
I had been hinting it to my mom for a while now that I wanted to get rid of my gyne and after working out and losing some weight, and no changes, she (and my dad) finally realized how it affected me after I told them how uncomfortable I was in my own body and how much controlled what I wore and not going to the beach, etc... at first I told them that I wasn't asking for their approval and that I would do it either way (they thought it was "normal" or would eventually go away; I'm 21, 5'10" 185) but they support me now.  They do want me to get checked to make sure that once I get this procedure done, it won't come back, so maybe you can go to an endocrinologist and get your hormones checked first and go from there, maybe that'll make it easier on all of you.

Good luck!

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding

If I were to tell them, it would be telling my mom (a nurse) that I feel lumpy things in my chest.  

Why am I hesistant?

-I recently saw a plastic surgeon for stiches on my head.  We were filling out the patient form and my mom read through all the procedures he performs.  What got me is she specifically pointed out 'male breast reduction' and laughed!

Novafan,

Your mom's a nurse and she laughed when she read male breast reduction on a procedure form? I wouldn't want your mom as my nurse and she should seriously consider getting out of the profession if she thinks this stuff is funny.  Get the surgery just to spite her.  

Also, get the surgery if you can afford it.  It will change your outlook on life.  

As for keeping your operation a secret.  That's easy.  That's very easy.  I've kept it from my girlfriend and I'm 3 weeks post op.  My girlfriend is nosy as well and she thinks it's a gym accident.  It can be done.  You know your parents and what kind of questions they would ask. Think it through.  

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
First of all, there are many people in Medicine and nursing that do not see anything abnormal about a man with breasts unless they are ponderously large. Around 2/3 of all men have at least some degree of breast enlargement which is palpable if not visable.

There are not usually any physical reasons for undergoing breast reduction.  The breasts are a nuisance, and an embarassment; But only rarely do they cause physical problems.

The major issue with Gynecomastia is that for some men is has a profound effect upon their self image and can lead to depression, social withdrawal etc.  In such cases, There would be a legitimate medical need for surgery.  Not for physical reasons, but for Psychological reasons.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Blitz

• Gold Member
  • Thank you Fielding
Hey Aquilius,

Thanks for telling me that the medical community makes fun of our mundane problems.  To tell the truth, who cares.  I make fun of a lot of things in which I know I shouldn't.  

I don't understand your comedian analogy.  It's as if you're comparing a nurse's career to a comedian's career.  At face value, I can handle a comedian making fun at our situation but a nurse...still can't do it.  

Keep in mind that I don't think she'll quit her profession based on my reaction.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024