Author Topic: Surgery costs on average? (also U.S. vs. Canada?)  (Read 3142 times)

Offline prator

• Posting Member
Just started reading the site yesterday.  Thanks for this.

How much should I expect to pay for surgery.  I have made one phone call to a doctor mentioned on the boards that is in my area and I was quoted around $5175 for everything.

I am so far most impressed with xx.  Supposedly he does 120 surgeries a year compared to 20-25 surgeries for other doctors.  People seem very happy with his results.  He appears to charge about $6600+.

I thought I noticed someone state "I can't believe it was gone in only 2 hours of surgery and it only cost $500-1000."  Is this perhaps from a surgeon in Canada?

Anyway, I'm pretty broke at the moment and I won't be getting a job until I'm done with college next May, so cost is something I'm pretty sensetive to right now.  Just trying to gather more information.  Thank you to everyone.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:45:56 AM by cleanup »

Offline nothingworse

• Gold Member
Dr. Bermant does great work and the cost of their surgery is good for the job they do. But, if you are seeing a local surgeon and they come up with an estimate of $5500-6000 for surgery think about this. You buy cars right and can get heavy discounts by negotiating. You can also negotiate on surgery if you are going to pay up front for it. The average discount for a person paying up front for surgery is 25-40% and if you work with your insurance company to help get you a discount as much as 50% off the $5500-6000. So you may pay anywhere after negotiating from $2750-3250. And yes you CAN negotiate on surgery. Not many people talk about that factor but, it is a factor. My dad got his difubalator put in and his surgery was $73000 to begin with and his company paid for it and got a discounted rate from the surgeon paying $43000 for the surgery. Thats about 40% off and that is the average discount for negotiating and working out the payment with your surgeon. The people who got surgery for $500-1000 had insurance help pay for most of it. And they do that mostly in Canada and the U.K. Through the NHS I guess. And in the U.S. the only time you can get gyne covered by insurance is by having a medical case with it. My insurance company is getting back to me tomorrow about covering my medical case of gyne. Sometimes they do but, most insurance companies do not cover just plain gyne. Some cover glandular incision but, I repeat some. So find out about your insurance, if not figure something out. Some surgeons also offer payment plans such as 18, 24, 36, and 48 month payment plans to make surgery more affordable to more people. Also consider that as an option. Take out a loan also if that is another option. Borrow from an understanding family member. Every case is different and there are many methods of paying, negotiating, and working out surgery costs. Those quotes you are getting about costs being as high as $6500 with everything are very ripish. If you paid that that would insurance surgeon, other costs very profitable. Even by negotiating like I said and all the costs together on getting 40-50% off the surgeons and all costs are being paid for and a little profit is also there. Sure they have high costs but, are only so high. For example dodge neons cost $14,000 erage and my dad did some heavy negotiating and bought a new one for $9,995 after all possible negotiating. The car dealership after all costs in the end still profited $500. If they sell a lot of cars and profit that $500 everytime after it is all said and done I mean paying for employess, building, lot, etc. They are doing well. So you discount on the surgery and get your surgery for $3500 after it is all said and done with all other associated costs the surgeon is likely spending $2500-3000 in the end. Not a bad profit for the surgeon, $500-1000 times many more plastic surgeries a year they perform. Now of course you can't negotiate on the price at a department store for a $20 item. But, larger items with many things involved you can. So figure something out and that surgery day will come. Good luck and hopefully soon you will get your surgery.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:49:51 AM by cleanup »

Offline nowchasing

• Posting Member
Dr. Fielding in Toronto charges $1070 CAD or $825 US Dollars which includes everything

Offline a-man

• Silver Member
  • Gyne free!
Dr. Fielding in Toronto charges $1070 CAD or $825 US Dollars which includes everything

Not quite that simple. That price is offered to Canadian citizens ONLY, as it is heavily subsidized by OHIP.

Offline nothingworse

• Gold Member
They must be getting major business then at a full payment rate. I know it is easier getting a discount working with insurance companies and getting their rate. I don't believe they said no. They won't take up front negotiated business for straight cash while still making a decent profit in the end. Car dealers jump for any business.  Although it would probably be easier to get a huge discount from a private surgeon who owns and runs their own plastic surgery operations. But, you never know with private surgeons. That is weird that they would just say no like that. They are probably short on business at least sometimes and when you are short on business you take anything you can get. Their rate they are charging you in the first place seems a bit high though. Good luck

Offline SRK

• Bronze Member
  • will BARE
here in india its even cheaper....surgery will be done for 15,000 to 20,000 rupees tht turns out to be 500 to 400$...u ppl mustbe knowin tht  medical facilities r cheaper in india n they r upto the mark also...but i am not sure abt the quality of gyno surgeries here as awareness here regardin gyne is much less as compared to us or canada....but i must say tht india doctors compare with the best in the world
a man walkin with gyno is a man walkin with a heart of steel

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024