Author Topic: Any recent experience with Dr. Jeffords  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Falcon5.0

Does anyone have any recent experience with gynecomastia surgery with Dr. Jeffords in Atlanta? I have searched and read a few past reviews (good and bad) and wanted to know if anyone could share their experiences. I am scheduled to have my surgery in a few weeks and am a littler concerned about a few threads I read where the patients had creases or caved in areas of their chest after surgery. From what I read this is a result of too much fat being removed.

Dr. Jeffords was very thorough and helpful during the consultation.  I didn't come across the negative reviews until after the consultation.  I think it will probably go ok but I am really concerned about having creases or an indentation.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
I think he uses drains which are unpleasant. I personally would avoid a doctor who uses these if I could.

Do drains mean the surgeon is not careful and there is a lot of stuff hemorrhaging that should not be? Perhaps one of the contributing doctors can chime in.

Offline Falcon5.0

He does use drains but he says he takes them out after 48 hours.

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
I have read that the removal of drains can be very painful.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I don't use drains in gynecomastia surgery, but I use them in other procedures, like female breast reduction.  They leave a scar, albeit a small one, and on a woman the scar can fall in the inframammary fold.  But the goal of gynecomastia surgery is to create a chest that a man is confident in showing off shirtless, so to me the use of drains here is counterproductive.

Immaculate hemostasis is important in any surgical procedure, but it's extremely important in procedures where drains are not used.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
He does use drains but he says he takes them out after 48 hours.

This is one of the questions I ask doctors in the evaluating process. If they use drains,then I cross the doctor off my list.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There is no absolute right or wrong about the use of drains.

The use of drains is up to the surgeon at the time of operation.  the use of drains is based upon what the surgeon has observed during the operation (is there continued oozing that cannot be stopped?) or it may be based on his surgical experience and training.  There is nothing wrong in using drains -- it should be regarded as a means of precaution.

In my practice, I rarely use drains -- but I do use them once in a while -- when I feel they are needed.  It should be regarded as a safety valve which the surgeon uses at his discretion.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Falcon5.0

Thanks guys.  I am not overly concerned about the drains after talking with Dr. Jeffords.  I really just wanted to see if anyone had any recent experience good or bad and any issues with indentations/creases.

Thanks

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024