Author Topic: Compression vests and bruising/swelling  (Read 3081 times)

Offline shiftend

• Posting Member
Hi everyone, I have a question Im interested in and would like to ask. Im currently 5 days post op. As per instructions from my sergeon,(Dr Karadis in England) Im planning to wear my compression vest 24/7 for 2 weeks, then at night/12 hours for 2 weeks. This was stated by the surgeon as being the MAX time to wear it for.

I see allot of people on here stating that they wear it for longer than this to help control the bruisng and swelling, but how long  does the bodies bruising and swelling phase go on for? Surely not longer than 2-4 weeks?

If the bodies bruising and swelling response has stopped by this point, what is achieved by wearing the vest for longer periods? Surely it would not be strong enough to have much of an effect on the formation and later breakdown of scar tissue?

Thanks for any replies.

Offline McGilli

• Silver Member
I know someone with more experience and insight will have more information -

Before my surgery I told my surgeon my background in lifting weights. He said after 4 weeks I could take the vest off and try light weights. I tried then light weights (5 pounds) and I developed some yellow bruising that went across my chest for a few days.

So I put it back on for another 2 weeks full time as I eased into exercise again.

BTW good questions - I hope a surgeon drops by to answer.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024