Author Topic: Compression Garment after OP  (Read 3724 times)

Offline troubledman

• Posting Member
Hi guys,

What exactly does the compression garment helps after doing the surgery?

Im told to put it on for 6-8 weeks, prefebly 24 hours...

However due to work ( i dont want people to see me wearing something like a bra duh),

I plan to wear it only when im home, thats like probably 8-10 hours a day.

I wonder what will be the consequences of it?

Is it okay?

Otherwise, what can i do to conceal the compression garment? :(

Offline ms123

• Posting Member
It's fairly easy to conceal, especially in winter. I found that button down shirts are best if your vest has bulky shoulder straps. Or you can combine that with a t-shirt as well to really hide it.

Offline troubledman

• Posting Member
Is it okay to wear the compression garment to sleep? I saw some websites say that it is not good.

Anyway....5 days after op, is it okay to just wear the compression garment 6-8 hours a day?

Offline jay adams

• Gold Member
Hey troubled man. Try to wear it as much as possible. I wore mine 24/7 for 4 weeks "except a 1 hour break for a shower and starring at the mirror". Lol Then during sleep for another 4 weeks while wearing a second stage compression garment during the day.

Get a under armor heat gear v neck to wear under the compression and you'll feel so much better This is your only chance to go through this healing stage. Make the most of it.

Offline troubledman

• Posting Member
okay, but whats the consequence of not wearing...?

I tried most of my shirts....most of them will see that stupid round neck compression vest...at the neck area.........~! and im in Asia...its hot most of the time, i cant wear winter suits lol

Offline Siamm

• Posting Member
I'm ln the same boat as I also live in Asia and I also find it very hard to wear but I will as long as my doctor tell me to.
He said that you could limit very much the fluids reflux if you won't wear it and the results won't be as good as expected, therefore, as I already knew prior to the OP, its a sacrifice I'm willing to take.

My advice is get the underworks vest, but make sure to get the right size, mine, despite following the advice on their website, its very very tight and make it hard to breath.
Then get microfiber t-shirt or v-neck and wear them under your vest with a shirt on top - it won't be noticed, even though you would still have to struggle with the heat, but i guess this is your only solution.

TRy to be under air condition as much as possible.

Good luck!

Offline jay adams

• Gold Member
It makes you heal faster. Makes the swelling go away faster.

Offline rhyno18

• Bronze Member
Maybe look at getting a different compression vest.   

When I got my original procedure done in 2012, the doctor used a vest that was hard to hide.  The material was thick.  The zipper came all the way up under my neck to a 'crew' colllar.  It had thick shoulder pads that were visible under all but the thickest shirts.  It sucked.

The doctor who did my revision used a much better vest.  It was a thin material and clasped on the upper front of the chest without heavy padding.  It had a V-neck and the top of the zipper was in the middle of my chest.  It was completely inconspicuous when I was a crew neck t-shirt.  The only time you'd notice it is when the zipper would 'bunch' when I was seated.  But if I wear a button down shirt that isn't tight, the bunching isn't visible.

Granted - I still can't wait to get it off and feel a bit self conscious with it on.  But it is WAY better than the one I had the first time.  I'm sure you can find a vest your happy with online.  It may cost you $50 or so...but to me it would be worth it.

As others have said, it's going to reduce your swelling and give you the optimum outcome.   Why spend a lot of money and go through the hassle of surgery, then short yourself of potential results because you don't want to be uncomfortable for a few weeks?  I know I'd kick myself if my results didn't turn out the way I expected because I didn't follow the doctor's post op instructions....

Offline Benign

• Posting Member
I'm in australia and had surgery jan 3rd.... summer is december - feb. fml lol. it was hard wearing it 24/7 like he told me to, but i'm home alone mostly so I just wore that by itself a lot of the time

I had a lot of swelling at the armpits and my surgeon said this was due to the vest, my chest was flat but the fluid was going to the armpits  i suppose... so he said take it off for a month and on march 6th I find out what to do next. since i've taken it off my chest has got a little worse, more fluid etc in it and not liking the shape, but that was to be expected, he said there will be more fluid for a few weeks in order for my body to overcome the swelling.... at least with the vest i had a perfectly flat chest (and even when i took it off for a shower it was flat), now i get the luxury of no vest and the bitterness of puffier chest lol.  fingers crossed for march!!

Btw troubled... wearing it at night is of course allowed, didnt ur doctor say 24/7? y would u not be able to wear it at night? thats another 8 hours of compression you're missing out on by not wearing it then

Offline jay adams

• Gold Member
I was having the same problem with the armpit. That's why the under armor compression shirt under the vest was key. It helped to keep the armpit compressed as well. Plus the vest slides nicely on it so the skin doesn't catch and bulge out the sides.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024