Author Topic: Already made conslt. appointment - weight loss?  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Tim_

• Posting Member
Hey guys,
This is my first post on this board after lurking for quite some time. Thanks to the encouragement from reading all your posts i finally worked up the courage to do something about my 'moobs' as goes the slang - I made an appointment to see a local surgeon renowned for this type of surgery (Dr. Fielding in Toronto) and it is fast approacing (sept. 19).

Here's my question/concern: for the last two months i've been trying to shed a few extra pounds thru light cardio and better eating. i'm not hugely overweight but i have a paunch and i could stand to lose a few pounds. I've had the boobs since i was about 11 years old but was a fat kid so it looked sort of right. Then when i hit 19 i slimmed right down after serious dieting and exercise, but the boobs remained and were more prominent than ever to my dismay. This caused me to 'let myself go' again to an extent, but im still nowhere near as fat as i was, and my boobs still protrude farther than my belly.

So the last couple of months - ive managed to quit smoking in preparation for the surgery so the weight loss efforts since then havent given me such great results.

With the consultation just 2 1/2 weeks away should i be concerned that the doc may tell me i can't have the surgery until i slim right down? I'm trying to increase my cardio every day, but what if i dont lose enough weight? You can tell by looking at me (when im not wearing the underworks) that my boobs are pretty abnormally large compared to the rest of me.

Another thing, i went to an endocrinologist 4 years ago when my GP recommended i get the ball rolling on getting them surgically removed (i ended up cancelling because i was broke at the time and had just dropped out of school) - the hormone doc said there was some gland in there (but not all). So not only do I know for a fact these won't go away with normal weight loss but there is in fact some gland in there.

Any of you guys who had surgery been slightly overweight when you went in for it? I'm not too worried about it - but it is in the backof my mind a lot lately.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom and hope it makes sense

Tim

Offline Tim_

• Posting Member
Sorry, i should clarify,  its my consultation thats coming up, not the surgery.

Offline IlluminaZero

• Bronze Member
  • What the hell is YaBB 1G - SP1!?
If you go and look at the before and after pictures of previous patients, you will find that numerous patients are overweight when they get the surgery... This is just a (seemingly) logical guess, but I feel that if they could get the surgery under those circumstances then you can as well.   ;D

And I sympathise as well. When I lossed weight (High school, 230 --> 170) I became somewhat depressed when I noticed my man boobs didn't disapear as well. Then I gained in muscle mass (170-185+) and nothing phased it... Felt like there was something wrong with me as an individual.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 10:41:00 AM by IlluminaZero »

Offline Tim_

• Posting Member
I hear you there - the first time i tried to bulk up all it did was make my chest more pronounced so i stopped right away and worked more on my lower body.

Thanks for your reply and confidence, and i hope youre right - Its probably just my nerves working overtime. I tell myself once i have them removed, i'm going to start to train myself a lot harder. I'll feel a lot more motivated because ill no longer feel self-conscious going to the gym, or just throwing on any old t-shirt and heading out for a jog.

Offline simpshawn

hey man congrats about having the courage to have surgery, i wish i had the same i cant even talk about it with my parents, is it true that Dr. Fielding's surgery's is partly covered by OHIP, if so how much does it normally cost, and i was wondering if anyone had Dr.Firledings contact information
Shawn

Offline simpshawn

sorry that last bit is supposed to be dr fielding

thanks

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Is it true that Dr. Fielding's surgery's is partly covered by OHIP, if so how much does it normally cost, and i was wondering if anyone had Dr.Firledings contact information

Yes, it's true Dude! OHIP will pay for gland removal and all hospital costs. You have to pay for the Lipo if needed. Lipo is considered cosmetic, which, OHIP will not pay for.

I've seen Fielding's Lipo fee to be as low as $800 and as high as $1600.

Dr. John Craig Fielding,  M.D.,  F.R.C.S. (C)
Plastic and Reconcstructive Surgery

2425 Bloor Street West
Suite #401
Toronto, Ontario M6S 4W4

Sorry, no email or Website addy. I don't think JCF is into computers much.

John.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 01:04:49 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Any of you guys who had surgery been slightly overweight when you went in for it?

Tim....

I'm a tad over weight, 203# @ 6'. As far as I could tell, this was not a governing factor for JCF. He did ask me if my weight bothered me tho. That was the only time that he mentioned my weight. However, in the past year or so, I've managed to loose 30 pounds  :D. I would like to loose another 20 or so pounds. I'm stuck at the 200ish range  >:(. Trouble is, I'm not a very motivated person. I'm very lazy....   :-/

Anyways dude, as for your question..... I'd have to say no. I really doubt that JCF will deny you surgery for being overweight. Relax, he'll fix you!   ;)

JCF is  DA-MAN!

You can check out JCF's work by clicking on the 'Pics' link in my Sig below. There's 88 'Before' and 'After' pics of my surgery. Don't let the swelling and bruising scare you out of surgery. It's not as bad as it looks. No pain, just discomfort for the most part. ;)

John.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 08:34:00 AM by Bambu »

Offline simpshawn

how would you know if you need lipo?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

how would you know if you need lipo?

I would imagine that most Gyne cases would require some Lipo to make the chest look right. But for you or I to be able to tell.... we wouldn't. We would need the expertise of a qualified surgeon to let us know if Lipo is required.

John.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024