Author Topic: Had surgery today  (Read 2311 times)

Offline blindelation

• Posting Member
Everything went great.
Went to the facility at 10:30 am. Around 11:30 I was knocked out and awake by 1:45.
Not really any pain at all, just sore. Like I had a very intense workout. Have definitely been in worse pain before.
The weirdest part to me was the anesthesia (sp?). Felt it going in, felt it getting harder to breathe. Next thing I knew I was awake and had bandages on.
Sitting here now, not even sure I need more painkillers. Have the drains in. Right drain seems to be draining much more than the left. Is it normal for one to have more drainage than the other?
I go back in two days to have the drains removed. This vest is going to get annoying..

hammer

Congrats! Now remember that you need to be patient as you will need time to let your body heal! It will take more time then you think to do that, and follow your post op instructions to the letter, as they are very important.

Good luck,
Bob

Offline blindelation

• Posting Member
Thank you! Is it normal for one side to drain more than the other? I'm assuming it is.. 

hammer

After having surgery you can have anything happen, as far as healing goes, and each side can be different, and each person will be as well!

Have had both knees replaced and they healed and the recovery was completely defferent!

Just because the surgery is sumular, does not mean everything will go exactly the same.

Offline skiaruba

• Posting Member
Just got my drains out Monday.  My left side drained more than my right and was usually darker red too.  Then, the day before I got the drains out, the right drained 7 ml and the left only 2.  Go figure.

Hope your recovery goes well.  I am a week post-op tomorrow.  Went back to work yesterday.  Still a little sore, and get some weird sensations / numbness, but I'm sure that will get better with time.  Getting the drains out will be a huge step forward in recovery.

Hang in there!

hammer

I had the knees done back in 06-07 so I was just using them as an example. I'm still in recovery mode from my 3rd back surgery, done on March 9th. I was told 6 months recovery on this one! The 17th I'll have xray's again to check the rods and screws to see if all looks good! I'm fused solid from L2 all the way down to the SI JOINT  now.

Offline blindelation

• Posting Member
Thanks guys! I can't believe I've finally had it done. Had it since I was 13. 28 now. Was about time. When I told my mother two weeks ago she said "I'm sorry I never knew how to bring it up to you but I knew you had it. I wish I or you had said something we could have had it done when you were in high school." Oh well.. it's over and done with and she said she'd pay for half of it. 
On day 2. Definitely more sore today now that the pain killers they put in the IV have worn off. Still on the Rx painkillers, though. They should call the drains "glacial pace" drains. Can't tell if it's draining or not it goes so slow. Oh well. They're coming out tomorrow.
I really don't want to see my chest for a while. Medical stuff grosses me out anyway. But when I woke up from surgery, and saw my flat chest in a bandage for the first time before they put something on underneath my compression vest, I was so happy. Can't believe it. 
I have had a membership on this site for a long time, haven't been very active on it, kind of mad that I waited this long for surgery. But I don't want to go away from the site like many do. I have an MBA in Poli Sci and I want to start a foundation for this issue since no one seems to talk about it. 
There should be somewhere for people to go, when insurance won't cover the procedure, etc, for help when they need it with this condition. I wish I had somewhere to go, somewhere to ask for help. Oh well, just a thought. Might be the pain killers inside me speaking. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024