Author Topic: Surgery experiences and afterwards  (Read 4703 times)

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
just curious to those that have done the surgery. Was it worth it to them. Was the pain bearable after and overall was the decision to have the surgery a good one. I habe scheduled my surgery. I have never had a surgery before so of course the nerves and fear of the unknown can be scary sometimes. Just wanted to ask and see if anyone cares to chime in.  Thanks :)

Offline se7endreams

I had the surgery two days ago. It was my 1st surgery and I was pretty nervous as well. Because of it, I asked the anesthesiologist to give me something to calm me down before putting me under (he was probably going to do so anyway :) ). You get knocked out very quick and the next thing you know, you wake up in the recovery room. It seriously feels like time travel. The pain wasn't too bad afterward actually. I would compare it to being sore after a chest workout, but a bit more painful. It was nothing unbearable. I didn't need to take any pain medication, not even tylenol. I am in considerably way less pain than yesterday. I'd say the most painful time is the 1st 24-36 hours, but again, nothing unbearable. You will have a sore throat for about a day and a half. Just drink a lot of water/liquids to ease it. Sleeping on my back is uncomfortable. It takes awhile to knock out, but once you get tired enough, you'll be able to fall asleep.

I am still in the very early stages of recovery, but after getting to see my chest for the 1st time today for a quick shower, I gotta say, it's worth it. It's far from the final result, but it put a smile on my face seeing it flat at last after over 15 yrs of having the problem. I can't wait until it is fully healed so I can see the final result.

One thing I will say is the compression garment is going to be a pain in the ass. It's only two days and I'm already annoyed by it. Having to wear this for a month is going to be tough, but it'll be worth it.

That's all I've got so far. You'll be great, don't sweat it!

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
Thanks man I appreciate your response. I hope your continued recovery goes great :)

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
If you don't mind me asking how much did you have done. 

Offline se7endreams

Thanks!

I had a very mild case. I had the excess breast tissue removed. A little bit of lipo was also done to even out the chest, because one side was slightly larger than the other. Due to the mild case, I don't have any drains. I've read those hurt like hell when they take out. That was pretty much it.

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
How you making out brother?  Hope your doing well. 

Offline se7endreams

Things are good man, thanks! It gets better with every passing day. I'll be going for my 1 week post-op appointment tomorrow. I hope I can take off the padding under the compression garment soon. Really, the only main annoyance at this point is the vest haha. I'm still very careful with my arm movements, but I'm back to work. I gently touched my chest the other day after showering, it's numb as expected. I can't feel my nipples, but I knew/expected that. I've read it takes months for the sensation to come back. Chest is pretty bruised up, but mostly greenish/yellow color. By week 2, I'll be itching to go back to the gym for sure. The doctor told me I can go back to the gym after 3 weeks, but as a precaution, I'm going to take 4 weeks off, just to get ample amount of rest & heal a bit more. The gym was a part of my life prior to the surgery. I can't wait to go back.

When are you scheduled for surgery?

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
Glad to hear you're doing well man. I go in oct 2.  I'm happy and eager to get it done but I'm nervous and anxious at the same time. I just hope all goes well and I don't get my ass kicked while I'm out :) I am taking a week off to recover. It's just strange never having had surgery and having no idea what to expect  thanks for giving me some insight and I'm glad you're doing well  

Offline HenryLacroix

• Posting Member
I had my surgery a week ago and my experience has been pretty much like se7endreams is describing.  I ended up taking prescription painkillers, and although I probably could have managed without them, it did make it a lot easier to sleep.  The only real noticeable pain was from the drains, which your surgeon may or may not use, but even those were just more annoying than painful.

You already know the answers to your questions man.  Of course it's worth it, the pain is bearable, and overall it's a good decision.  I spent the month prior to my surgery obsessively searching every corner of the internet, trying to find that one testimony or piece of information that would ease my mind, but I didn't find it.  It's easier said than done but do what you can to accept that there's nothing you can do beyond following the doctor's instructions.  

I'm definitely happy to answer any questions you have though!  And congrats on scheduling your surgery.  It's definitely scary, exciting, and surreal.  

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
I have been doing the same thing brother. Driving myself crazy reading all this stuff. I need to just relax and not be a pussy. I worry about things but I know I want this gone and this is the only way. I got mine from using pro hormones. Funny thing is my brother had surgery 6 years ago and I still obsessively read about the surgery lol.  Did you have general anesthesia. And you say the pain is bearable. I worry about shit going wrong after its all done like a hematoma or some bullshit. I just need to man up and relax :)

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
Thanks for your response by the way man. I appreciate it 

Offline HenryLacroix

• Posting Member
No problem.  Yeah, I had general anesthesia.  I've been under before but I was still a little anxious about it.  Once I got there that all went away.  Medical professionals are great at calming your nerves.    

The pain is totally bearable.  The first night, I made the mistake of trying to adjust myself in bed by pushing myself up with my arms, which was a big mistake.  That was pretty intense pain, for a few seconds.  Getting the drains pulled out hurt a bit.  Now my chest is just a little sore and I feel little stinging pains every once in a while in random spots.  The anticipation was ten times worse than any of the actual pain I've experienced.

I'd say the only thing that wasn't much better than expected is the vest.  It's fine, but it's a little bulky.  Have to wear a button up or a hoodie to cover it.  It's mildly annoying but oh well.

Yeah, something can go wrong, but it seems to be pretty rare with this procedure, and to my knowledge it's nothing that isn't fixable.  

Are you confident in the surgeon you chose?

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
Yeah I'm confident in him. He has done about 20 of these operations but the pics I've seen look great and he has great credentials.  I wonder about my range of motion to. I do manual labor but I'm taking 10 days off of work for this. I also have a 2 year old son who I enjoy playing with so I hope to get back to that soon after :)

Offline se7endreams

Glad to hear you're doing well man. I go in oct 2.  I'm happy and eager to get it done but I'm nervous and anxious at the same time. I just hope all goes well and I don't get my ass kicked while I'm out :) I am taking a week off to recover. It's just strange never having had surgery and having no idea what to expect  thanks for giving me some insight and I'm glad you're doing well  

so, how did it go for you man?

Offline Mark7777

• Posting Member
It went well. Not too bad. Sore the 2nd day but not unbearable. Healing up ok just tired and a little stiff and sore if I do too much. Thanks for asking about me man. I hope you're doing well too. I will check back with you soon :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024