Author Topic: Swimming after surgery  (Read 3430 times)

Offline fromfar

• Posting Member
I plan to learn swimming after waiting for this many years. I had gland removal and lipo a month ago. How long should I wait before I can starting swimming . Need u guys advise. Thanks

Offline johndoe

• Silver Member
I think a month would be sufficient time to make sure the wounds have healed. Your chest might still be stiff though so don't push too hard when you first get into the water. Might wanna wait one more month just to play it safe.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I think a month would be sufficient time to make sure the wounds have healed. Your chest might still be stiff though so don't push too hard when you first get into the water. Might wanna wait one more month just to play it safe.

Ditto!

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline fromfar

• Posting Member
Will take you guys advise to rest 1 more month before joinning the swimming lessons.

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
i am concerned that these kind of questions are asked on this forum. why dont you ask your doctor? there is no way that you can rely on any advice given by unknown members of the public?

Offline fromfar

• Posting Member
Dear Manic,
Sometimes I would take statistic based advise by those who has experienced the surgery rather than suggestion by 1 doctor. Most of my decission   pre and post surgery is from the advise which i am getting from those who has gone through the surgery.
Of coz I do not deny, that doctor has the authority in the surgery, but I would make my calculated decission based on information and fact I recieve from my doctor and fellow friends who has experienced the surgery.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Dear Manic,
Sometimes I would take statistic based advise by those who has experienced the surgery rather than suggestion by 1 doctor. Most of my decission   pre and post surgery is from the advise which i am getting from those who has gone through the surgery.
Of coz I do not deny, that doctor has the authority in the surgery, but I would make my calculated decission based on information and fact I recieve from my doctor and fellow friends who has experienced the surgery.

Well said Dude!

John.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

i am concerned that these kind of questions are asked on this forum. why dont you ask your doctor? there is no way that you can rely on any advice given by unknown members of the public?

Dude...

On every Page of this Site, a discaimer states....

"This site gives health advice only as a guideline, and no action should be carried out unless authorised by a doctor. All information on this site comes from non medical people unless otherwise stated. We always recommend consultation with a medical doctor to get the most informed opinion and information."

Sure, us Post-Op'ers are 'non medical people'. However, we have lived through the surgery and recovery of Gynecomastic reduction/removal. Bin-Der-Dun-Dat, sort of thing! Ya know what I mean?

It all comes down to common sense Dude. We are 'advised' on many things throughout  the journey of Life. It's up to the individual to decide what requires an 'experts' opinion. But then, wouldn't you say that someone who has experienced the surgery/recovery is 'somewhat' an 'expert' or someone who could give sound advice?

John.

Offline manic91m9

• Gold Member
as im sure u know a large percentage of the users of this site probably didnt read the disclaimer and are quite likely to be in an emotional state. i expressed concern. i did not mean to suggest that your advice is incorrect however i think people often dont ask doctors the questions they need to. and use websites like this to self medicate.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 05:10:11 AM by manic91m9 »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

I did not mean to suggest that your advice is incorrect however i think people often dont ask doctors the questions they need to. and use websites like this to self medicate.

In some cases unfortunately, I'm sure that is true.

I guess you're right as to what you said in your first post of this thread. Most of us don't 'know' eachother. It's risky to take any advice other than that of your doctor.

The best thing to do is to 'listen' to your body. At about 3 weeks post-op, I was at the gym and was doing some stretching. I must have over done it a tad and felt some pain in the chest. I immediately stopped upper body stretching and gave it another few weeks before resuming that exercise.

You have to use common sense. If it hurts, stop and give the body some more time to heal....   ;)

John.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024