Author Topic: Post-Op  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Roscoe

Hello, I am a first time poster but have been lurking in this forum for about 4 years trying to convince myself to get the surgery done. I finally decided on it, and had my surgery done this morning. It is currently 2330 hrs and I am 12 hrs post-op. I decided on booking my surgery with Dr. Pensler. After my consultation I felt very confident that he was a great choice. I booked my surgery that same day before I even left.

The first time I realized I had an abnormal chest from all the other boys was when I was about 11 years old, but since I has a short, chubby boy I figured that's all it was. By the time I was in high school I was very lean but noticed my pointy, cone-like chest was still there. It was humiliating. After high school I enlisted in the Marine Corps and figured I would definitely get rid of my pointy breasts then. I was wrong. I was lean and muscular but my pointy chest was still there. It was then that I found out what gynecomastia is searching for answers on the internet. 

Enough of that and on to my experience with the operation. I showed up to Dr. Pensler's office a bit nervous but the staff there is very professional and comforting. The nurse was excellent in guiding me through the procedure and how to care for myself post-op. Dr. Pensler was amazing as well, both made the experience easy and anxiety free. I was under local and twilight anesthesia, and boy was that an experience. I felt like I was completely conscious during the whole procedure but it felt like it lasted about a minute. I felt no pain, only the sensation of what was going on but in a euphoric state. Very hard to describe in detail what the experience was like, but overall for someone who's never been under any anesthesia other than local for wisdom teeth removal, the experience was great.

I woke up from my sedative state, feeling a bit groggy feeling no nausea or any bad effects from being under sedation. I was provided two compression vests, a black one and a beige one for lighter clothing. I am to leave this compression vest on for 72 hrs at which point I will shower and remove the dressings. I have yet to experience any real pain as I have been taking tylenol 3, just as instructed by the nurse. I am however very uncomfortable from the swelling. I do feel the dull pain sensation from being bruised, as if just having taken a beating to my torso. No intense pain though, just swelling and discomfort, all very bearable. Tomorrow I will go for a brisk 45 minute walk as instructed by the nurse to speed up the recovery and continue on with walks every day. Just moving around the house i can feel a lot of relief as opposed to just sitting on my butt at home.

I can't wait to see the end results and start a new chapter in life. Just wanted to share my story as I read many, many stories here for years before deciding to get the surgery done. Over all I am extremely happy with the decision of getting it done and i can not thank Dr. Pensler and his staff enough for making this a smooth and enjoyable process.

Offline chifer

• Posting Member
Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on the surgery! Keep us posted on your recovery!

I'm a bit surprised about the "brisk" walks. I did go walking, but not "briskly" as that might already go the way of jogging with the tissue moving, at risk of tearing, etc. So I'm wondering a bit if that's really the best way to go.

Offline Roscoe

I thought the same about the brisk walks, but it really did help me feel better. I find that I feel more sore when I'm resting for long periods of time. Recovery so far is great. Now I just feel itchy all over my torso but have to wait until tomorrow to remove the vest and dressings so I can shower. Swelling has gone down significantly but still present. I just feel sore like after an intense workout and an occasional 1-2 second burning sensation around my nipples. 

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024