Author Topic: Finally it is going to be done!  (Read 4414 times)

Offline nothingworse

• Gold Member
Well, Aetna didn't get back with a reply. So we are calling them on Monday to get our final answer doesn't matter really anymore anyways. So, I talked to my mom about going to Dr. Pensler in Chicago to get my surgery so she is setting up a consultation with him tomorrow. To see him in the next week or so. So, within a month or less I should have my surgery done with him. It doesn't matter if I have to pay because I now have my money problems answered. I figured out a payment plan and have the money to do this now. So, either way if Aetna pays or I have to this is getting done in a month. Pensler is a provider with Aetna so if they cover it I can go to him anyways. So, he is pretty good and is experienced in this so I am going to a guy who will know what he is doing. It will feel great to be gyne free in about a months time. It has been a while and it is time to finish it once and for all. Pensler charges about $4650 total. And $125 for the consultation. Just under $4800 total. So it isn't that bad. But, we will probably get a light discount on the surgery as well so it will be probably about $3500-4000 total. If anyone lives near Chicago or are looking for someone good this is one of the better surgeons. And the price he charges isn't terribly expensive. About $500-1000 less than most anyways. The original guy I was going to go to takes forever to see and he really pd me off because he was very arougant and non concerning although he was a pretty good surgeon. Pensler has a shorter waiting time, good credentials, and I know he can get the job done right. Thank you to everyone that has helped me out and within a month or so I should have this done and post after pics and more info. I especially give thanks to my mother father, and grandmother who have been very supportive. They pushed, helped, and are willing to help me pay if I need it. Thank god this is almost over it has been an eternity with this crap.

Offline nothingworse

• Gold Member
Well, here is the important update. Aetna I guess is sending me back another denial letter (GO FIGURE). What a waste of time and I actually had a medical case. Anyways I am going in to see Pensler this friday. I have $1200 saved up and am going to use that and his payment plan or borrow the rest from my grandma. My parents are in a cash squeeze right now. So, this will be done soon. And I will be sure to post after pics once finished. Just one more quick note. Unless you have cancerous gyne don't even bother with Aetna or similar insurance companies they are just bad right now and don't even consider it. It was a waste of time with them and my parents aren't happy so we will take a small bit of action towards them while I get the surgery. Thank god it will soon be over.

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
Good luck man, youve been stressed out for ages, im glad the ends in site  ;)

Offline nothingworse

• Gold Member
Thanks for the reply. Ya it has been a very stressful long time. Now whats going on is the payment plans are not what my parents like. And, Aetna got back saying they are reevaluating and may approve it in the next week and a half. Well, I told my parents if I get this done in November it would be good. Then my mom talks about some work thing that I can get it in January. I have had it for 8 years and have just wasted 6 months with all the surgery prep. I need this done now. They can get the extra money. But, they are so worried about money it is rediculous. But, they always said health is more important than money. They just took out 15 g and paid off their credit cards and have low interest on that 15 g. Now I told them why don't they redo it for 20g and pay off the last card and the rest of my surgery. But, the don't think. I am only 17 years old and I have more brains then them. THen they say we will take it out of 401 with 35% tax I said why when it doesn't hurt doing it the other way and I actually can pay the monthly difference of $75 more each month after I get it. THey really p me off some times with there stupid improvises. Do it the easiest way and get it done. God, they think I can't help but, for a while I was running our business at the mall better than they were and doubling the money more. Unfortunately time caught up and things slowed down and my money got tied up so now I am back at step 1 but, still doing better than them. We just need to get to Pensler this Friday. Tell him, schedule the surgery, and get this over with. I am not ready to be draged through another 3 months just because my mom wants to do some stupid plan to save 20%. I can get 20% off by improvising with the surgeon anyways. My parents just don't care. BUt, when its my father it is done right away. I don't get it. If they had what I had they would want it done right away. Can you blame me? I just got to go through this 1 more time with them so they understand. I told them I was going to get everything under control after this. I am paying them back within a year anyways.

Offline AGOF

• Bronze Member
I feel for ya, I just turned 19 and don't have the money for this much needed procedure. And I think I'd feel way too embarassed to ever ask anyone I knew to borrow money for it, what do you think I should do about that?
Life would be fine if it wasn't for gyne...

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
If you can't come up with the money for surgery then you just have to learn to deal with the condition. Geeze, I lived with it for 31 years! Yeah, there were some very embarrassing moments, but hey, I survived!

Get a job and save come coin....

John.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 03:07:18 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline nothingworse

• Gold Member
To answer your question correctly, do what you can to get it. If the only way you can get it is to pay for it yourself then you may have to. Some surgeons offer payment plans and some take credit cards but, that racks up interest. It is a good option but, will be a bit more costly in the end. Also, if you know someone that could help that you can trust don't be afraid to ask. We all have problems and the best thing to do is to get them out with someone we can trust. I wouldn't worry about it. I was so afraid to tell my parents. They didn't quite understand at first but, going over it a few times and showing them this board changed their minds quickly. So do something man and get it done. You will be happier. Find an option that works for you and persue it. If you don't act nothing will happen and before you know it it will be 1 year later and nothing has changed. Do something today for a solution tomorrow. And again don't be afraid to tell someone that can help and you trust. It was my mistake to not tell anyone for about 5-6 years but, I didn't know. The advantage is you know what is going on and you should tell someone so they can assist you. It was one of the best things I ever did. If I didn't do this I would never be at the step I am now. And that is one step from surgery my solution. So good luck and do what it takes.

Offline art

• Posting Member
If you can't come up with the money for surgery then you just have to learn to deal with the condition. Geeze, I lived with it for 31 years! Yeah, there were some very embarrassing moments, but hey, I survived!

Get a job and save come coin....

John.

Grandpa, I'm sure you're a good guy and a valued contributor to this site, but I don't see how posts like this are helpful.  The kid is clearly venting, and if I knew about this surgery when I was 17 I'd be begging my parents too.  $5000 - $10,000 is a lot for a teenage to save up for with part time jobs alone.  When I was 17, I had to save for college, I could never have afforded something like gyne surgery without my parent's help.  I'm currently researching doctors to get the surgery.  I have a good job, but I also have a mortgage, student loans, a car payment, and all the other expenses that make money tight.  However, the money will be found and I will get the surgery. 

Some people don't want to live with it, others can deal with it more.  Personally, I've been living with it for 15  years, and its been my own personal hell.  People grab at my chest, been called every name in the book, had horribly embarrassing nicknames.  Finding something to wear every day is exhausting.  Yes, I'm getting the surgery done, and I'm doing a payment plan with the doctor since I can't shell out all the cash for it right now.  Knowing what I know now, if I had kids with gyne, I would definitely go through the expense of getting the surgery for them.  People can be cruel, and I wouldn't wish what I went through, and continue to go through, on anyone.

nothingworse, I'm glad to hear you found a way to get the surgery.  Good luck to you, and let us know how everything turns out.  I can't wait to be on the other side myself....

Offline MrRossZ28

• Posting Member
If you can meet with Dr. Joseph in naperville, IL... He did my surgery for $3,000

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Sorry art, I have to agree with GB.

Do I remember the torment? Of course!

If effective, reliable, safe, surgery had been available when I was in my late teens would I have wanted it? Probably yes.

Would I have wanted it bad enough to save up the money myself, at least in part? I simply don't know. Somehow I doubt it.

When the money comes out of your own pocket, your priorities can be quite different.

I realize that a teenage boy cannot come up with that much cash, but if it truly is of major concern to the lad they should come up with at least a significant part of the cost and forgo some other luxuries in the process.

My attitude as a parent has been that I would try to help my children reach goals which they clearly put forth an effort to reach. Anything not worth significant effort on their part was not worthy of my help either.

I think a parent who simply shells out cash for every want is doing their children a great disservice.
Grandpa Dan

Offline nutella

• Bronze Member
Good luck buddy. I really do hope everything goes well for you. Please keep us posted with updates....

GB and Paa Pad...... Just because you two went through the ringer when you were young does not mean this guy should have to suffer. He doesn't owe you, or anyone else for that matter, a reason as to why he is getting his surgery done. This has been a stresser in his life that is going to be resolved soon and that is all that matters. Where he gets his cash from is between him and his loaner and it has nothing to do with you or your moralistic opinions. It seems to me that for such a active member of this site you sure do like to go around foisting your negative opinions on people that are already suffering and insecure about their problem. Maybe you should try and grow a little class.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Sorry art, I have to agree with GB.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dan... ;)

When the money comes out of your own pocket, your priorities can be quite different.

True... VERY TRUE !!!   :P

I realize that a teenage boy cannot come up with that much cash, but if it truly is of major concern to the lad they should come up with at least a significant part of the cost and forgo some other luxuries in the process.

My attitude as a parent has been that I would try to help my children reach goals which they clearly put forth an effort to reach. Anything not worth significant effort on their part was not worthy of my help either.

I think a parent who simply shells out cash for every want is doing their children a great disservice.

Dan, you are wise beyond your years my man... My mom and dad are the same way with my brother and myself. They will help us out (sometimes more than we deserve...  :P) the best they can. However, that 'help' is not just 'handed' to us on a silver platter.

GB...

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Good luck buddy. I really do hope everything goes well for you. Please keep us posted with updates....

GB and Paa Pad...... Just because you two went through the ringer when you were young does not mean this guy should have to suffer. He doesn't owe you, or anyone else for that matter, a reason as to why he is getting his surgery done. This has been a stresser in his life that is going to be resolved soon and that is all that matters. Where he gets his cash from is between him and his loaner and it has nothing to do with you or your moralistic opinions. It seems to me that for such a active member of this site you sure do like to go around foisting your negative opinions on people that are already suffering and insecure about their problem. Maybe you should try and grow a little class.

NUT....  'Grow a little class'?  Sense much hostility in you I do...  :-X   You should take your 'hostility' elsewhere...  There's no room for it here...

FYI, Paa_Paw (not Paa Pad) and myself have been active members of this site for over 6 years. We have many, many years of experience 'dealing' with G. We have helped many members and non-members of the site, more than you'll ever know... I find it a 'tad' disrespectful that you, with only 2 months and 7 posts to your name on the site... are flaming two of the most senior/active members that this site has...

You know..... I do sympathize with those that are too young to attain the funds for surgery. However, nobody said that 'LIFE' was going to be easy... Nobody said that you would be handed everything to you on a silver platter... Most people have to 'work' for what they want... and in many cases, that includes getting surgery for G reduction...

Anyways dude, try being a little less rude in the future...   ::)

GB...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024