Author Topic: How long before heavy labour?  (Read 3215 times)

Offline CanNick

• Posting Member
I currently work a labour job, I generally jackhammer/ shovel or lift for 50 hours a week. If I got the surgery what kind of timeframe would I be looking at before I could go back to work?

I know it varies from person to person but what would be a conservative estimate?

Offline Zardoz

• Silver Member
  • exciting
How old are you? How good is your health?

I would wait 3 weeks before using a jackhammer and you will be fine. The fat is not coming back.

Offline CanNick

• Posting Member
Almost 20 and I am in very good health. My case is mostly glandular so I doubt if there would have to be a lot of lipo. I’m just trying to figure out how much vacation time is going to be required so I can get my finances in order now.

A little pain or discomfort isn’t really a big deal for me, I can deal with that I am more concerned about doing something that might cause long term damage or damage the results of the surgery.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

A little pain or discomfort isn’t really a big deal for me, I can deal with that I am more concerned about doing something that might cause long term damage or damage the results of the surgery.

Like Zardoz mentioned, you will be off work for at least 3 weeks. Especially since you are in the construction trade. However, the best person to talk to about such issues is a Plastic Surgeon. Set up a consultation with a PS and he/she will be able to answer all of your questions...

You'd probably be in more than a 'little discomfort' if you were to use a jackhammer shortly after surgery. IMO, it would hurt like a MoFo....  :o :o :o

Get out the Morphine Dude!!!   ;)

John.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 09:39:52 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline CanNick

• Posting Member
Darn, 3 weeks is a long time for me to take off work especially since I started this job fairly recently. Do you think it would be possible to get that time off with the help of a doctors note? or will I have to take it off as vacation time or something?

Offline spaceface

• Posting Member
I know that many PSs  are happy to provide you with a variety of medical excuses other than the gyne, if you don't want anyone to know about the gyne.  

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Do you think it would be possible to get that time off with the help of a doctors note? or will I have to take it off as vacation time or something?

My PS was more than happy to authorize 3 weeks recoup time. However, my employers Short Term Disability insurance would not cover my pay for any time off  >:(. Even with a doctor's note, your employer does not have to pay you for medical leave. So.... I had to use 2 weeks holidays out of the 4 weeks that I was to get for the 2005 holiday period. As I needed 2 weeks holidays in the summer, I could only take 2 weeks (paid) off after surgery. When I did go back to work, I took it very easy. If I had to lift something very heavy or had to do any reaching, I asked for help.

In your case tho... working with a jackhammer, that might be a problem. Could you ask to do something different for a few weeks? Trust me, using a jackhammer at 2-3 weeks post-op will hurt like a MoFo!

John.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 07:36:09 AM by Bambu »

Offline CanNick

• Posting Member
Ya as long as I have a doctors note I doubt their will be any problems for me to get a week or two off and then a couple of weeks of light duty or whatever the PS wants to recommend.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024