Author Topic: What pushed you to make the call  (Read 4916 times)

Offline daddynubbie

• Bronze Member
  • Daddy has nubbies just like mommy!
I am new here, Thanks for all the great open sharing. My story of suffering came to an end about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I had surgey, lipo with gland removel and areola reduction by donut incision. I cant belive i am on this side, i have thought about this for so long just like the rest of you guys,now it is behind me. The initial consultation was the hardest next to calling and making the appointment. What pushed me over the edge was my 4 year old daughter saying " mommy and daddy have nubbies as she reached and tried to squeeze me. I couldnt bear withdrawing from my family any more, i have already missed so many fun activities because of emmbarassment. no more
Suffered For 20 years, 36 years old
Had 1st Surgery October 2005
Had Revision August 18, 2006
Looking Good So Far

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member
reminds me of that one funny commercial of the guy holding his baby and the kid starts to try to breast feed off his breast.

the commercial was for some exercise/fitness thing.. maybe supplement i donno

i just found whoever did advertisments for that company was a general retard.  considering how many people have gyno and would be quite offended about that (this guy obviously had it)

Offline Favre

• Posting Member
Corny as it may be it was this site which gave me the courage to take the plunge.  When I read of other people suffering from the same problem as me and finding a solution in surgery, it made the decision easier.
Surgery: Nov 4th 2005 by Dr. Silverman (Boston, MA)
http://www.ricksilverman.com/

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
1. Saw 'Men With Breasts' documentary on TV....
2. Did a Google search of 'man boobs'....
3. Found this Site....
4. 'FB' recommended Dr. Fielding....
5. Made 'The Call'....

The rest is history.....

After living with Gynecomastia for 31 years, and finding out there was a proceedure to remove/reduce them, well, there was no doubt in my mind what the next step had to be....   ;)

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline c3ntralp3rk

• Silver Member
  • there is hope.
heh. yeah.. pretty much what others have said. but i remember making that first phone call, felt that my heart was going to explode..

i was going to hang up when the receptionist picked up. but something just made me go through with it..

congrats on your surgery.  :)

Offline AGOF

• Bronze Member
i still dont know what road i should take, cause surgery is a big deal and pricy....
Life would be fine if it wasn't for gyne...

Offline c3ntralp3rk

• Silver Member
  • there is hope.
yes, that is pretty much almost everybody's obstacle to surgery..

but i understand what you mean.. private insurance companies often don't cover gyne surgery.. except in certain provinces of canada..

how old are you btw..?

Offline daddynubbie

• Bronze Member
Boy i can relate to almost hanging up when trying to make the appointment, then to my suprise the wait was six week just for the initial consultation. It turned out good to take that time and really think about what i was getting into.
But telling my wife was huge, she has known that i have been embarassed about my chest but i am sure she had no idea how deep the pain was. I told her the night before my appointment (should have been sooner) and she was shocked and just didnt seem to understand, she kept saying that she never looked at me that way and had a hard time seeing why i felt so emmbarrased. The really great part is that i know she accepted me just the way i was, and now that it is done we have joked about getting some Simon Cowl shirts.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Telling my wife was huge, she has known that i have been embarassed about my chest but i am sure she had no idea how deep the pain was. She was shocked and just didnt seem to understand, she kept saying that she never looked at me that way and had a hard time seeing why i felt so emmbarrased. The really great part is that i know she accepted me just the way i was.

Same here Dude! My wife, prior to surgery said that my chest was fine and that I didn't need the operation. After the op, looking at my 'Before' pics, she then agreed that I had moobs and that they needed to be fixed.

Just like you, I told my wife how deep the pain went and she was stunned. But then, she didn't know. Nobody did. Like the majority of Gyne sufferers, discussing the pain is not something we do freely.

Congrats on your surgery! How do you feel now? All the stress and anxiety gone?

John.

Offline daddynubbie

• Bronze Member
Grampa,

Thanks, I am feeling pretty good i think i am healing is pretty fast. I get a little nerveous when i look at certain areas i am sure it is swelling that just needs more time to go away ( its only been 2 1/2 weeks) there is just such a dramatic difference it is hard to imagine that is going to get better.
It is funny, this past weekend my wife bought some new bras for herself, i pick one of them up and said to her " this would have been just right for me a couple of weeks ago" I would have never joked with her or anyone like that before.
I still feel self concious mostly because of the vest, i dont want anyone to touch me for fear they will feel the vest and start asking questions. My wife is the only person that knows i had the surgery. I know i am not ready to stop wearing it,my chest just feels better with it on, i am sure i will know when it is no longer needed just by litening to my body.
Thanks for you encouragment!!!
Any thoughts or tips on recovery?

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Any thoughts or tips on recovery?

There's not much you can do other than take it easy and give your body time to heal. It gets better with each passing month. Physically and psychologically....  ;)

John.

Offline Favre

• Posting Member
I can relate with the wife thing.  My wife also said she never noticed or realized how embarassed I was until after the surgery.  

On the consultation thing, I was even embarrased to tell the receptionist why I wanted the consultation.  I told her I wanted to talk about abdominal liposuction.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
My Gyne dates to puberty,  about 1949-1950.

Liposuction was first used in the late 1970's in Italy but did not become common in the US until the mid 1980's.  The surgical methods now commonly used to reduce Gynecomastia have only been around for twenty years or less.  By which time I was old enough not to care.

The condition runs in my family, so all four of my sons have it to some degree.  Being a common family trait, it has not been a big deal for any of us.  The teasing of others has not changed in my lifetime, and it is a real pain. The last guy who thought it would be funny to pinch me went to the Hospital with a dislocated shoulder.  And from there to Jail for assault.  The court decided that I was merely defending myself.  

Years ago, my wife first took notice of my breasts when we were in the shower.  She just said "Uh-Huh" and poked gently at my breast.  We had already been married for several years and she had not previously noticed.

Grandpa Dan

Offline shiver

• Posting Member
i'm 35 and had been thinking about getting 'it' done for at least a few years. it wasn't until recently when i came into some 'bonus' money from work that i decided to seriously think about it. after making an appt with a ps a couple of weeks after the bonus, i decided that a lot of questions/concerns were addressed in the consultation and somehow felt validated about my thoughts about my gyno. i always suspected i had it but i needed to hear it from a doc. i scheduled the surgery to take place in mid Oct and now i'm currently going on my fourth week of recovering.

i'm very pleased with the results and so was my ps at our 3 week followup appt. last night i had a massage with my usual therapist and she noticed a signficant difference in my appearance. she hadn't known that i was going to have the procedure done but talking a bit about it she admitted that at least 2/3 of men that she works with have 'moobs'. hearing her say that also made me feel good about my decision to have the procedure done. not sure why..but it felt good to expose my front to a person that i know.

Offline daddynubbie

• Bronze Member
shiver,

Congradulations, i am sure that you are excited to be on the other side.

Any pictures yet?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024