Author Topic: brothers? Gyne run in the family?  (Read 5529 times)

Offline bohemian2

• Posting Member
  • gyne removed by Levick 2/11/05
Does anybody know if gynecomastia can run in the family. I've just heard that my brother has the same problem. Does anybody know of any other cases of it?  I've not heard of anything like this yet.

Offline RottonDane

• Posting Member
My brother has a bad case of gyne and I have a pretty mild case, so it wouldent surprise me that it could run in the family.  The interesting difference I find is that my brother couldent care less, and I am the one going for surgery.

Offline wbrooks

• Posting Member
My brother has and our dad did.

Offline GodWasAngry

• Silver Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1! And it loves me!
i've seen 2 brothers who have it - this doesn't mean it runs in the family, it could be nutrtion

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Sometimes it does run in families, like mine for example  and for us it did not resolve after puberty.

Concurrently, all the women in the family have quite large breasts.

There can be good news here as well, in that if your father or uncles had the condition in their teens and it went away without surgery you can probably expect similar results.

Grandpa Dan

Offline **Gynefor**

• 37 yo - 184 cm - 82 kg
My brother seems to have it too ... I think gyno is something which runs in the families. It must be some kind of genetics ...  :(

Offline bohemian2

• Posting Member
  • gyne removed by Levick 2/11/05
After posting that question I did a bit of research on the internet.

One thing I did find is that it can indeed be genetic.  In this particular case it was passed on from the grandfather on the mother's side, through the mother and onto both brothers.

I had no idea my brother suffered as well.  My mum was talking to him about my operation and he suddenly admitted that he suffered as well.  It's a taboo subject and there must be many men out there suffering in silence.  Many whole families!

Offline **Gynefor**

• 37 yo - 184 cm - 82 kg
You're right indeed ! If you sometimes look around you (without being attracted by it  ;) you'll see quite a few guys with some gyno, be it a mild case or severe. As you say, many men must live in silence with gyno. :(
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 12:55:26 AM by Gynefor »

Offline BringExtraDragons

• Bronze Member
  • Sometimes you get so alone it just makes sense.

In my case, my brother has the ideal male chest and I kinda got stuck with the broken one, the bastard.

Offline Favre

• Posting Member
My grandfather had it.  My brother and uncle do not have it.  Some forms of it probably are related to genes.
Surgery: Nov 4th 2005 by Dr. Silverman (Boston, MA)
http://www.ricksilverman.com/

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
All of this supports the contention of some people that gynecomastia is not is the leas an abnormal condition.

If you are in a family where the issue is open, you will find it much easier to cope with.  Conversely, if it stays a secret, you will all suffer alone.   Open discussion and education are powerful tools.  

Either way, the idiots who tease and/or pinch will still be there.  Stupidity cannot be effectively outlawed.  Even here though education is powerful.

For those of us who have Gynecomastia, our attitude and self perception is much more important than a bit of surplus breast tissue.  Or, put another way, What in between your ears is more important that what is on your chest.

Offline Hatemychest

• Posting Member
My brother, dad, and uncle has it.  ::) Its very frustrating. I think I am the only one who will admit in my family that it is a condition.

Offline cybertit

• Posting Member
  • Surg. Aug 05...Got rev. Apr. 06...Still have breasts!
Definately runs in the family, me and my brother both have gyno.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There is a thin line between suffering alone and being obsessive.  

In the case of a man who suffers alone while his male relatives ignore the situation;  Is it he or they who have a problem?  Are they in denial or is he being obsessive?

The main thing is your self image and attitude,  Not the tissue on your chest.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024