Author Topic: bra fitting  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Rich meier

• Gold Member
 a question for the long time experienced bra wearers.. different bra sites have different methods to measure. . the question , if you measure your self do you wear a bra or not. what if you are a newbie and have no bras. my wife bought my first and fit good. so when i got bigger  i tried one of hers  and iI stuck with that size.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
We are all built so different that no bra calculator can cover the variations. Trial and error or a bra fitting is the only way to find your perfect fit. I’m a US DD pushing a DDD and one calculator says I’m a K cup! That’s wildly off, but for some people it works. 

Offline Rich meier

• Gold Member
what about wearing a bra while measuring

Offline Moobzie

• Silver Member
That would probably throw off the actual cup measurement.
An in store fitting is the best way to ascertain correct size / fit.
Another - and inexpensive - option is to try a Hanes pull-over (or step in to, wearer's choice).
I found them at Walmart, < $10.
They are sized S-M-L- XL- 2XL-3XL, and have a size / fit chart on the tag.
I'm 42-44 chest and the 2XL fits me well.  It is lightly padded - but the pad can be removed.
It's super comfortable and - most importantly for me - has no visible strap 'signature', so can be worn under a T-shirt.  Can't hide my breasts but the bra isn't visible.
They come in several colors - I have beige, light gray and this one (darkest available).

aboywithgirls

I've worn a bra full time since I was sixteen years old. I was measured and was a 34C. It really is trial and error. I wear a 36H UK sizing in most of  my bras. I have been stable in my current size for a couple years.

Offline Rich meier

• Gold Member
That would probably throw off the actual cup measurement.
An in store fitting is the best way to ascertain correct size / fit.
Another - and inexpensive - option is to try a Hanes pull-over (or step in to, wearer's choice).
I found them at Walmart, < $10.
They are sized S-M-L- XL- 2XL-3XL, and have a size / fit chart on the tag.
I'm 42-44 chest and the 2XL fits me well.  It is lightly padded - but the pad can be removed.
It's super comfortable and - most importantly for me - has no visible strap 'signature', so can be worn under a T-shirt.  Can't hide my breasts but the bra isn't visible.
They come in several colors - I have beige, light gray and this one (darkest available).
the hanes and rhonda shears are my go to's,I wear the pullover and the hookstyles all in 2x they fit good I have problems with the # bras. I wear the unlined and light padded ones.as far as wearing a bra to measure that is why I ask as they are allover the place I have read that you should wear your best bra and other say no. I am not at the poinoif wanting to get a fitting. I would still be embarassed

Offline jan1north

• Posting Member
Yes, for reasons that defy logic different companies measure in strange ways particularly for band size.  

Some measure under the bust where the band would sit - and this makes sense and is straight forward.  Torrid (and others) do this but it seems like a minority.

Other band measures that don’t make sense done by too many manufacturers:

• Under the bust + some number of inches (3 to 5 depending on brand).  (Chantelle and too many others do this.)
  • Under the bust then lookup in some chart to determine band size.  (Soma does this although their chart is straight forward.)
  • Under the bust then enter measurements into a form (or app) on their web site. (Wacoal does this.)
  • High over the bust up under the arms (Victoria’s Secret does this).

This is why an assisted fitting is helpful particularly when a shop carries multiple brands.  A good fitter will know these variations (as will you with experience).  

Then there are variations within a brand - a particular model may have an extra tight band for some strange reason. 

It’s easy to see why the claim of “80% of women were the wrong bra size”.  And whatever measurements you make are merely a starting point!

aboywithgirls

Jan is right.

Measuring for your bra is only the first step. If the was all you needed it would be easy and there would be no need to spend an hour being fitted for a single bra.

So, there are really 3 major things to look for that a measurement can not give you. They are support, shape, and comfort. All of these are determined a a fitting. A good fitter will ask you either what style bra you are looking for or what look you are looking for. You don't need to be a bra expert to go for a fitting. That's their job. 

Almost everywhere I go for a fitting as a woman, a man can be fitted in the fitting room next to mine. Most women don't care as long as you are sincere and respectful there is usually no problem. Almost every time I was fitted, women who were also being fitted were complimentary and respectful and sometimes curious. I didn't mind answering questions and had even asked other women who were there for their opinion at times. While you are being fitted for a bra, you are no different from the women who are there for the same reason. Remember they are there seeking support, shape and comfort for their chest because they have breasts the same as you.

your sister,
Sophie🤗

Offline Johndoe1

Jan and Sophie are right. Most bra shops and some national big box stores don't mind serving a man. If you go with respect towards the other customers, they will respond in kind. Everyone there is to buy a bra for support. Can you get a customer who, no matter what,  will have objections about a man being there? Sure. It can happen. That's why I recommend getting an after hours appointment if you are a first time customer of the shop. You usually can't get that at a big box store, but smaller shops usually don't mind. Just realize that bra shopping and getting the proper fitting takes time anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. That's why a lot of women hate bra shopping. It takes time and you have to try on everything to see if it works. And if you go this route, expect you WILL buy a bra. If you are just shopping around with no desire to purchase, don't waste their time. You are taking time away from someone else who is going to make a purchase. Shop owners talk to one another and you can get a reputation as the guy who wants to feel bras but not wear one. Not a reputation you want. Shop owners will gladly and not judgementally serve you as long as you don't give them a reason to call your motives into question. They know a man will be nervous and they understand that and will work with you to be sure you have the best experience possible. They're in business to make money so customer satisfaction is important to them as well.

Here's a link that might be helpful. This blog is run by a former fitter who also fitted men. Good stuff. https://sophisticatednotion.com/bra-fitting-does-it-need-to-be-perfect/
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

gmast

if you measure your self do you wear a bra or not.
It seems if you have a bra that fits you wouldn't need to measure, just read the label.  But obviously that isn't the case as different brands, models, and in some cases, different colors fit differently.  Since the band measurement is supposed to be snug, but not too tight, wearing a bra that fits properly can help you get an accurate measurement.  Depending on your boobs natural shape the measurement could be different that when its reshaped by a bra, so that measurement could be different.  You can do it both ways to see if there is a difference, but  it shouldn't be much.  If you were only going to take one set of measurements, do it like the manufacturer indicates.  Most bands do not say to wear one, but some do.  But in the end, it doesn't matter much.  With different brands using different methods, and in some cases, multiple methods from the same brand, its only a starting point.  You'll need to try them on.  Just like boots and shoes, don't assume that you have a size that fits.  Between what you consider your size, and the size determined by the brands sizing method are good starting points.

Offline Rich meier

• Gold Member
i love the ones that fit but I also like looking at and buying new styles

Offline Moobzie

• Silver Member
JD1:

Thanks for the link to 'SOPHISTICATEDNOTION.COM'.
It's the best on-line sizing help I've seen !

The page about 'BRA FITTING AND SIZING GUIDE' is outstanding.  Should be a "go-to" resource for any man with gynecomastia interested in wearing a bra for support.

Offline Johndoe1

JD1:

Thanks for the link to 'SOPHISTICATEDNOTION.COM'.
It's the best on-line sizing help I've seen !

The page about 'BRA FITTING AND SIZING GUIDE' is outstanding.  Should be a "go-to" resource for any man with gynecomastia interested in wearing a bra for support.
Your welcome Moobzie! Glad to help! Erica has a lot of good stuff on there and some of it is useful to us. It's a retool of her blog she had when she owned a shop. Erica is a good one. She is on our side and advocates for all people who need/want a bra, gender not an issue. No judgement with her. She will tell you straight as you see if you read any of her postings.

Offline SideSet

Moobzie, that bra looks great on you.  I am sure you feel  much better in a bra, also; everything nicely held in place, supported, lifted, and shaped.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 10:34:50 AM by SideSet »

Orb

That looks like a great fit Moobzie.  That style certainly has its place.  Comfort and no visible detection under shirts yet limiting movement.  Good for you!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024