Author Topic: International Breast Cancer Awareness Day  (Read 1013 times)

Offline gotgyne

Every year on the 19th of October is the "International Breast Cancer Awareness Day". Do you had or have family members or relatives with this disease? One of my several paternal aunts had breast cancer in the early 1980s and died from it.
John
A bra is just an article of clothing for people with breasts.

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
No-one close to me has suffered from that horrible disease thank goodness, but like most people on the planet, I do know people who have been afflicted with it.

Here, I don't think there is any special significance given to the 19th, but like many countries, October is BC awareness month.

Also, there are certain local major sporting events that act as fundraisers during the year, including a football match tied in with Pink Ribbon Day, and a specific day of Test cricket where all proceeds are given to a wonderful foundation set up by one of our sporting icons who lost his wife to BC, which provides funding for dedicated breast care nurses, who give one-on-one care to victims and their families. 

I say, good on all the people who have been so loud and pushed for awareness and fundraising for support and research into BC. 

Offline gotgyne

No-one close to me has suffered from that horrible disease thank goodness, but like most people on the planet, I do know people who have been afflicted with it.

Here, I don't think there is any special significance given to the 19th, but like many countries, October is BC awareness month.

Also, there are certain local major sporting events that act as fundraisers during the year, including a football match tied in with Pink Ribbon Day, and a specific day of Test cricket where all proceeds are given to a wonderful foundation set up by one of our sporting icons who lost his wife to BC, which provides funding for dedicated breast care nurses, who give one-on-one care to victims and their families.

I say, good on all the people who have been so loud and pushed for awareness and fundraising for support and research into BC.
Thank you very much Aussie63 for your answer. It seems that this topic is not very popular. But we should not forget, that men with gynecomastia can develop breast cancer too. Luckily this is rare but not impossible. By the way: Are you or other members of this forum doing a breast self-exam in regular intervals (every month)?
John

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
I'm all for speaking up for victims of BC regardless of gender. Depending on your source, men comprise 1 - 2% of breast cancer cases. I mentioned a charity that provides funding for breast care nurses. I find it pleasing that they mention male victims in their intro:McGrath Foundation - Providing Support to Breast Cancer Patients 

No, I don't regularly check myself specifically for lumps, but I'm sure I would notice anything unusual. My wife gets a mammogram every two years as part of a national screening program. Neither of us has a family history of BC. 

Offline Amiga

• Posting Member
My mother is (thankfully) a breast cancer survivor.

Offline FredL

• Silver Member
I have read that men with gynecomastia have the same likelihood of getting breast cancer as men without. And I've read conflicting things about women's breast size and how it relates to breast cancer.

Logically, it seems like the more breast tissue, the more places for cancer to happen.

I have four close friends who all lost their wives to breast cancer. 

aboywithgirls

There are definitely many reports out there that have conflicting results of the occurrence rates of BC in men. From what I know, the rates of BC in men that appears to be consistent with gynecomastia greatly varies. This is because when you take into consideration the age of breast development onset. Basically, when you develop breasts with the onset of puberty, like women (not transient gynecomastia) where breast development continues as female breasts develop. This, combined with a family history of breast cancer greatly increases your chances of breast cancer. 

My wife and I both have the same risk factors with our family history and my adolescent onset gynecomastia so we are both on the 1 year plan.

Love ❤️ yah guys,

Sophie 🤗 

Offline gotgyne

There are definitely many reports out there that have conflicting results of the occurrence rates of BC in men. From what I know, the rates of BC in men that appears to be consistent with gynecomastia greatly varies. This is because when you take into consideration the age of breast development onset. Basically, when you develop breasts with the onset of puberty, like women (not transient gynecomastia) where breast development continues as female breasts develop. This, combined with a family history of breast cancer greatly increases your chances of breast cancer.

My wife and I both have the same risk factors with our family history and my adolescent onset gynecomastia so we are both on the 1 year plan.

Love ❤️ yah guys,

Sophie 🤗
Hi Sophie, this is very plausible! A German surgeon also told during a lecture that the risk of breast cancer is higher, especially in young men with severe gynecomastia. For this reason in Germany gynecomastia surgery is often covered by health insurance.

A man I know told me his story. In his sixties he developed prostate cancer. He got radiation therapy and hormone therapy (androgen suppression therapy) with a testosterone blocker. But during this therapy he developed breast cancer and had to have surgery. Some years later he was still alive. But I haven't seen him for some years now. 
John
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 11:59:50 AM by gotgyne »

Offline gotgyne

I have four close friends who all lost their wives to breast cancer.
Hi Fred, this is a tragedy. We must not forget, that even today breast cancer is not a disease that medicine has conquered completely.
John

Offline gotgyne

My mother is (thankfully) a breast cancer survivor.
Hi Amiga, thank God!
John

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024