Author Topic: Do I have to see a endocrinologist?  (Read 5859 times)

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
I already have a date booked for a consultation with a PS.

I have the "puffy nipples" gland behind the nipple thing. It came when I went through puberty( I didnt do drugs or anything).

But I defintly dont want this condition coming back.

Can anyone help me out??

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Usually, Gynecomastia is simply as a result of hormonal imbalances in puberty and the condition itself is harmless.  

Sometimes Gynecomastia is a symptom of other, potentially serious Medical problems.  

It is always a good idea to see an Endocrinologist prior to surgery to rule out or treat other problems.  This will also greatly reduce the possibility of regrowth after surgery.

The ultimate responsibility for a successful surgical outcome lies more with the patient than it does with the surgeon.  You need to tag all the bases to make a Home Run.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
Ok well I'm going for my consultation with the PS on the 4th of Jan...

Tonight I tried to find an endocrinologist in my city on the internet but with no luck.

Do I just get out the phone book and call one saying I need you to test me for Gynecomastia?

Should I call my PS and ask if they can refer me to one?

Offline Hypo-is-here

If you tell me what city and state you live in Alan then I'll post the contact details for you of appropriate endocrinologists in your area.

Offline Old timer

• Posting Member
  • Research! Research! Research!
Dear Hypo:

Could you please tell me the endoctrinologist contacts in Indiana? I go to the VA where my primary care doctor is located, but he discourages any attempts to further my investigation into locating the cause.  :)

Offline Hypo-is-here

I am from the Uk so you will have to forgive my ignorance.

Is that Indiana as in Indianapolis?

If you could be very specific regarding the state and city-just to help me out then I'll get you the correct contact details.

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
If you tell me what city and state you live in Alan then I'll post the contact details for you of appropriate endocrinologists in your area.

I live in Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba

I cant find one for the life of me

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...

Find an Endocrinologist

Click on the link above and you can search for an Endocrinologist near you. For Canadian searches, you'll have to do a search by 'Province' on the RHS where is says 'State/Province Search'. Just select your province and click on 'Search'. I did a search for Manitoba and resulted in 3 Endos found. All in the 'Peg'!

You wont find 'Gynecomastia' in the 'Specialties' list tho.   :-/

For members south of the border, there is a ZIP code entry box on the LHS.

For our International members, select your country at the bottom and click search...

Credit goes to Hypo for the Endocrinologist search Page. He told me about it shortly after I became a Gyne.org member. Thanks Hypo.....  ;)

John.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:15:32 PM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Hypo-is-here

Hi Alan,

I found the guy below who is in your home town.  I do not know if he deals with reproductive issues or not as he does not list his areas of interest.

Perhaps give him a call and discuss your situation, if he is not able to help you he should be able to suggest a colleague who can.

David Hirsh Wiseman, MD, FRCP(C)
790 Sherbrook
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3A 1M3
CANADA
Phone: 204-788-5737

Offline Old timer

• Posting Member
  • Research! Research! Research!
I found several endocrinologists in my area, but they will not do any work without a referral from the family doctor who, in my case, happens to be the VA Med Center in Indianapolis. The VA frowns on referring veterans to outsiders. Have you heard of any angles to get around the referral route?

Thank you.

Offline Hypo-is-here

Both of the endocrinologists below have an interest in reproductive endocrinology and are in Indianapolis.

Hopefully one of them can help.

Eiman Awad Abdelrahman, MD, MBBS
7440 N. Shadeland Ave
Suite 200
Indianapolis, IN 46250
Directions to Office
Phone: (317) 845-1006
Interest Areas:
   Diabetes Mellitus
   Reproductive Endocrinology
   Thyroid Dysfunction

Gordon B Cutler, Jr., MD