Author Topic: For those who've had surgery--Post op activity ?s  (Read 2970 times)

Offline ChristianTroy

I have a few questions for those who've had surgery.  I know these topics have probably been discussed ad nauseum on this board, but I thought I'd condense my questions to one post.

1) How soon after surgery were you able to resume desk work?

2) How soon after surgery were you able to resume exercise (I like to run/lift weights--so how long for things like that)?

3) How long did you wear your compression vest 24/7?  

4) How long did you wear your compression vest for at least some portion of the day?

5) How visible are compression vests when worn under clothing?

Thanks for your input.  

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Hello ChristianTroy

I had surgery nine days ago.

1) I went back to work four days after surgery ( I am a sales rep, so lots of driving and I was ok).

2) I was back at the gym on day two, but power walking only.  I did this every day.  I will be doing more power walking and stretching this week.  Week three I will be walking, stretching and weights, but only around one quarter that I would normally lift.  By end of week four, if I am up to it, 50% of the weights I would normally lift.  I anticipate being back to challenging weights by week six.  But I will just have to listed to my body.

3) I wore initial bandages for seven days.  I am now wearing my compression vest and will do so for a total of 21 days/24 hours.

4) Additional two weeks of compression vest bed time only.

5) You can hardly notice a compression vest under ordinary shirts and loose tops.  No one has mentioned it to me but have pointed it out to people that know about my surgery.  They otherwise did not realise I was wearing it.

Hope that helps.

Offline Fajha

• Posting Member
For me:

I was back at work on Day 5.  I work in Sales Management - so it is primarily desk work.

I did do a little housework / activity in the first week, much to my surgeon's chagrin.

I am 4-5 weeks post surgery now, and I have been cleared to go back to the gym - for light to moderate work out, but aerobics type stuff for now.  No bouncing as they say.

Did you any of you have any issues with fluid build up in your pec areas?  I had to be drained twice.

F

Offline shiver

• Posting Member

1) How soon after surgery were you able to resume desk work? >>>> on the 6th/7th day..i was ready to go back.

2) How soon after surgery were you able to resume exercise (I like to run/lift weights--so how long for things like that)? >>>>4 weeks

3) How long did you wear your compression vest 24/7? for the first 2 weeks..i wore it 24/7 with the exception of showers. after 2 weeks, i'd wear it during most of the day and would take it off for a few hours in the evening...that was for about 2 more weeks. after a month, i no longer needed to wear it. that was the worst thing for me.  

4) How long did you wear your compression vest for at least some portion of the day? >>>>3/4 week

5) How visible are compression vests when worn under clothing? >>>the thing that was visible on my garment were the velcro straps on the shoulders. i just wore sweatshirts/sweaters. since it was fall/winter...i don't think it was noticeable at all.

Offline fl3a

• Posting Member
ChristianTroy? haha another nip/tuck fan. cool.

Offline tomorrow

• Posting Member
How much weight can you lift the first week? My son will be 8 months old when I have the surgery in late March and am worried I won't be able to help with him.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024