Author Topic: I'm a  christian, any other christians suffer  (Read 5446 times)

Offline chg12345

• Posting Member
well, i'm born again, and i have commited my life to god, but this condition is really burdening me. I know God's word and sometimes i feel guilty because i don't have joy, i can't seem to put this burden to god, and it seems like surgery will be directly disobeying God (in my case). I have decided to go "my way" with surgery instead of maybe "God's way" and overcoming this. I'm really struggling with this aside from my chest condition. well i would l like some brothers to comment because i need some brotherly advice.  I would really appreciate christian advice because this is a spiritual, if you're not a chrisitan i'm sorry, i'm really struggling here.

Offline moto39

• Posting Member
Hey, I too am a christian, and have had some of the questions you have had. But here is what I came up with, having gyne is a burden plain and simple, and some may think that wanting to get rid of it using surgery is being to vain, but it is not being vain, it really is something that will affect you not only physically but mentally, I say go ahead and get surgery. Its more liking having a heart transplant to fix health more than having a nose job to fix appearance, I hope this helps and just pray about it, do whats in your heart.

Offline Hypo-is-here

I don't think that there is any biblical comment on surgery.

Also wasn't Jesus a healer of the sick?

What is the psychological burden you have if not a sickness?

I'm not religious at all but I would say this;

Do what you need to do to get through as I doubt it has any relevence to your faith and......................................... .........................................................go a little easier on yourself :-/

There have been a lot of guys who believe in god that have come through this site and dealt with their issues and this problem one way or another.

Best to you!

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member

Offline Snake

• Posting Member
God helps those that help themselves, thats why we have free will.  If a lion was coming to eat you, what would God want you to do?  Do you think sitting and praying is the answer?  He gave you two legs to run away.   ;D  See what I'm getting at?

Offline soccerplaya

• Bronze Member
Hey, i'm born again too.

getting surgurey to look better is not a sin... nor is wearing nice clothes or getting a haircut to look better.

The real question is are you putting your desire for good looks over your desire for Christ? So its really more of an Idolatry issue more than a disobedience one.

Pray about it, look for God's will in circumstances and in his word.  If God's will is for you to get surgurey, then he will make it happen somehow, if his will is for you not to have it... then it wont happen for ya.

The only way for you to have true joy is to put all of your hope in the Lord and eternal life to come and put aside the things of this world just like you are passing through.  Its really hard to live that way, especially here in the USA, but you just hafto keep pressing on and wanting more of him.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 07:08:34 PM by soccerplaya »

Offline Fajha

• Posting Member
I am an Ex-Believer, and please don't ask me to explain what all that means or entails.

I honestly don't see what religion has to do with nature messing up or something getting screwed up in a person physiological make-up.

As someone said, Jesus supposedly healed the sick, including the crippled and the blind.  This condition is crippling or we would all not be here discussing it.  Some of us would not be suicidal if it was something trivial.

When a person is cured of a major ailment - the world sings praise to God or which ever diety you believe in.  So, I do not see that your having surgery is a sin.

Priest have gone on diets to look better or feel better.  Pope have had surgeries and what nots - so, I say heal thineself - even if it means going in for surgery.

Look at it this way, if your God did not want you to have surgery, he would not have directed you here to hear all this.

Good luck to you.

Offline daddynubbie

• Bronze Member
  • Daddy has nubbies just like mommy!
I am a christian also and i have had the surgery. This was not a spiritual conflict for me at all.

Are you tithing?  I do belive that if you were to spend money on this without placing God first, this would be a reason not to have the surgery at this point. This is a good indicator of idolatry as mentioned above by soccerplaya.

All the best to you, as you know we understand how hard this is to deal with.

For me having the surgery has even opened me up to many more opportunitys to serve in lots of different ways.
Suffered For 20 years, 36 years old
Had 1st Surgery October 2005
Had Revision August 18, 2006
Looking Good So Far

Offline soccerplaya

• Bronze Member

I struggle with this because is it really a valid excuse to not serve in certain situations because we dont look good?

Offline daddynubbie

• Bronze Member
  • Daddy has nubbies just like mommy!
I see what you are saying Soccerplaya, but for me it wasnt a looks thing that kept me from serving, i am not running around church with no shirt on. It was just having the mental burden lifted that helped my view on things and i became more interested in serving.

I hope this explains a little better.

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
How does God feel about the millions of children that have the positioning of their teeth corrected by an orthodontist?  Is a child (or adult) wearing a brace for cosmetic or corrective purposes?  Would a victim of depression be less loved by god because they sought to take medication to free them from their depression?

It seems your physical appearance is causing you mental anguish - or sickness.  A psychological problem is no more of an medical issue than a broken leg or an infected wound.  The need to feel better about ourselves and the world around us is a natural and normal condition.

You feeling sad will affect those around you.  Take away that sadness and what is left is all that remains for your to share ;)

If God is love, then he wants you to be happy.  Would God really love you any less if you actually did something about making yourself free from this sadness?

Offline chg12345

• Posting Member
Thanks for everyone's advice. I have scheduled the appointment already, so i feel at ease because God's love is in me. I do follow Jesus with all my heart, so i do tithe and all that. I feel like the burden fell off me when i made the appointment. I will continue to ask for his will, I already put this is in his hands, so if it doesn't happen i asked him to build me up for it. Thanks Guys

Offline outertrial

Surely having gyne is bad enough without worrying about God as well.

Offline chg12345

• Posting Member
Yeah it does a lot, man i appreciate it. I know God has called me to do great things for him, so I can now leave this is in his hands. We'll see where he takes me.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Read the first chapter of the Epistle of James, especially verses 5 and 6. Then, pray about it.

If your concern is purely out of vanity, (which I doubt) Then it is wrong. It is much more likely that you are simply trying to fit in and there is nothing wrong with that.

The two great gifts we have from our creator are intelligence and free will.

Confusion comes from another source.

Good Luck.
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024