Author Topic: When gyne goes away during puberty...  (Read 2468 times)

Offline soccerplaya

• Bronze Member
I don't understand it  ??? when it goes away for the "90% of kids"  what happens to the gland? I thought it was impossible for the gland to shrink? someone please help me understand. thanks!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Just as an imbalance of the ratio of Estrogen and Testosterone is the usual thing that causes Gynecomastia to begin with; the Gland seems to need a certain amount of Estrogen for maintenance.  With the Estrogen level normalized, the gland slowly degrades and shrinks. Not always of course, but usually.

If, at that point there is an elevated Estrogen level due to drug or alcohol use, The gland will not degrade.

I have read several postings here in which a person said that they had Gynecomastia before they started using Marijuana so the Marijuana is not the problem.  What they fail to realize is that they might have pubertal Gynecomastia which should have resolved without any problem. Their Marijuana use prevented the resolution.

The fat deposits that accompany the gland seem to be much more lasting.  This is why I do not like to see any distinction between what people refer to as "true" and "Pseudo" Gynecomastia.  Breasts are Breasts and the Psychological impact as well as the onset would seem to be nearly the same.
Grandpa Dan

Offline soccerplaya

• Bronze Member
thanks for the info paa paw!

How long do you think the time period is for someone to lose the gynecomastia in puberty?

Offline turbojoe

• Posting Member
It shold be gone by the age of 18 , if not you might need surgery.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I would agree that the age of 18 would be OK most of the time, but not always.  

The more complete answer would be by the end of puberty.  This would be determined by Lab analyses of your hormone levels and possibly X-Rays to see how nearly complete is your bone growth. In some of us this could be well past the age of 18.

We are almost all laymen here. If you truly want good answers to these questions, It would be wise to talk to an Endocrinologist who specializes in reproductive issues.  If you have trouble locating one,  send a message to Hypo,  He could probably help you locate several in your area.

Good Luck!

Offline turbojoe

• Posting Member
PAA ,I agree with you.I just was tring to simplify it.

Offline soccerplaya

• Bronze Member
So if they are going to shrink... it would be a long process?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024