Author Topic: Prolactin  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Boobies_Redux

• Posting Member
Folks, I just had the results of a blood test come back this week, and it looks as if my prolactin levels are elevated.  

On discussion with my family doctor, I understand that should the results come back positive one more time on a repeat blood test for the same hormone, and a follow-up radiology(meaning a scan of my head),  then very possibly I will be going in for treatment to remove a tumour from my pituitary gland. This means brain surgery for me. (No worries, they will not be drilling holes into my head or screwing the top back on, they go through the nasal cavity.)

I have had my breasts removed surgically more than a year ago, and required addtional lipo to take care of a small amount of fat that was not removed with the original surgery.

I went to see a new family doctor as a matter of course, and told him about my surgery and he decided to test my blood for prolactin.  Nobody had suggested that this be done in the 30+ years I walked around with gynecomastia in and out of doctor's offices.

I wanted to tell you on this board because I thought it might be important for everyone here.

Also, sufferers of gynecomastia might want to take a look at this video download:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/6903/video/dietcoke.zip

(I don't find it very funny, but this guy sure has the boobs.)

Offline Hypo-is-here

It's not brain surgery.

"IF" you require surgery it is surgery to the pituitary which is actually on a stalk steming from the brain but it is NOT part of the brain.

Surgery like you said is via the nose cavity and the success rate is very high and the surgery is often done as a day case.

So don't kill yourself with worry.

If you are from the US go to the site below for additional information and help.

http://www.pituitary.org/

If you are from the UK go to the site below for additional information and help.

http://www.pituitary.org.uk/

« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 01:27:45 PM by Hypo-is-here »

Offline Boobies_Redux

• Posting Member
I could be a problem if my pituitary was as big as my brain and my brain as small as a pituitary, or perhaps if my head was discovered only to be a cavity.  Ok, surgery on my head not my brain.

Thanks for the kind words.  I am hoping that here is a solution to a long standing problem.  My doctor also says that I may have to take a prescribed prolactin blocker as well in the short term.

Will post the results once my blood tests are in.

Offline Hypo-is-here

If you are worrying about this phone the pituitary organisation whose number will be listed on the website and have a chat with someone from that organisation.  They will be only too willing to help you should you require any assistance.

The fact is your doctor(s) will almost certainly know how best to approach this issue and drug treatment is often effective at reducing prolactin.

I would say I wish you the best, but I am sure there is thankfully no requirement for such grand gestures..

Speak soon.

Offline Boobies_Redux

• Posting Member
Ok, very good.  Will also post a photo of the inside of my head cavity with a sole pituitary gland suspended on a tendon, and the drawing of a brain posted on the interior wall.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024