Author Topic: Philadelphia Surgeon - Dr. Lo Consult Experience  (Read 2330 times)

Offline joebob

Philadelphia Surgeon - Dr. Lo Consult Experience
I've been reading these boards for a few weeks and they really helped me out.  I've realized that I can do something about it, and it's not the end of the world.  I recently had my consultation with Dr. Lo and wanted to share my experience since there were several PA/NJ posts that didn't have answers.

A breif background on my condition:
It started when I was 12 or 13 and pretty much got worse from there.  By the time I was in HS and College, I essentially avoided sports that required "shirts/skins" and the beach/pool.  Even still, I lived a pretty full life.  Now that I'm in my late 20s I can afford to do something to fix it.  

My criteria were pretty simple. I wanted to do the surgery with a board certified physician who's pictures I could at least sample on the web.  I required a hospital environment for my own comfort and prefer general anesthesia.  Finally, the armpit method was preferable but not required.  I'm based in Philadelphia, PA and do not want to travel.

Based on these criteria I eliminated Dr. Blat(?) - the pictures on his website weren't too promising and if that's what he advertises I'd hate to see what he doesn't.  (at least that as my thought process).  I eventually decided to go have a consultation with Dr. Lo.  The consultation was free and easily scheduled with his staff.  Wait time for a consult was about 3 weeks.  

When I arrived at the office, it was a very well kept office in a medical office building that's part of Pennsylvania Hospital.  The staff and other patients were quite friendly with each other, and I got the feeling that the practice forms a pretty good relationship with its patients and their family/significant others.  I filled out a few page questionaire and was given a folder with information about the practice, the doctor, and the procedure.  Dr. Lo was in to see me quite promptly and asked me the usual questions.  He also did a physical exam (and noted that "there's quite a lot in there").  

Based on the exam, we talked about his approach and how he would do the procedure.  He always begins in the armpit with Tumescent(?) and/or Ultrasonic Lipo and gets it as "flat" as he can that way.  From there, there's a decision.  If it's not where he would like it to be, he'll go through the nipple (from 3 to 6 o'clock) and get the rest.  Basically, he said, it depends on if the patient wants it "better" or "gone".  I told him I wanted it gone and then some and would deal with a longer recovery to get it that way.  I got the impression he had decided to do all four incisions based on his exam, but that's just me.  For lipo alone, he does not use drains.  For incisions in the nipple, he does use drains which remain for 4-7 days.  Compression vest for 2-3 weeks.  Dr. Lo indicated he does 3-4 gyne procedures a month.  While I was in the office I got the impression it may be higher as there were two just that day (including me) and another who called in on the phone (overheard the receptionist confirming he does the procedure).

After the consult, his assistant Mildred(?), a very pleasant and helpful lady, meets with you to go over costs and schedule a date if  you decide to proceed.  The cost breakdown for me was:
$4,000 surgeon fee
$975 OR fee
$520 Anesthesiologist fee
TOTAL of $5,495

If the nipple incision is made, tissue removed must be sent to pathology, which could run another $500 (was told typically is $350 or so, but $500 is the number written down).  Could I have found it for less?  Almost definitely.  For my money, a hospital I know that's in my neighborhood and a doctor/staff I felt extremely comfortable with are worth it.

All in all, I was VERY comfortable with Dr. Lo's experience and his staff.  I didn't feel like they were trying to "sell" me the procedure.  There were a substantial number of before and after pictures.  There were no pictures where the nipple incision was visible, so he demonstrated potential experience with a close-up from a female patient.  Seemed fair enough to me.  The Dr. was very upfront about some of my specific risks, espescially scarring (based on my 50/50 tendency to form keloids) and things that could require additional surgery or impact results/re-occurence.

Scheduling of the procedure is still pending.  The book was officially full for a few months, but the office staff has been very helpful in trying to get me in just as soon as possible and have followed up on progress.  It looks like my wait time will be three weeks or less as of today. When I do finally have a date I will be sure to update.  Hope this helps anyone else in the area.

Offline joebob

Follow-up from the staff was very good.  Because I could  be flexible with my dates, they got me in for surgery March 31.  Had the option to waive PAT's, but since it's included figured I might as well take the hour and be on the safe side.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024