Author Topic: fat in other places after lipo  (Read 2409 times)

Offline NewLifeStartsMay4th

• Bronze Member
    • pre-post pics
i have heard that the body will start creating fat cells in odd places after lipo. anyone want to comment on this?
Surgery may 4th Dr. Metzner New Orleans
http://deuce-po.magix.net/

Offline brownman

• Gold Member
work out b healthy :d bod always will find spots 4 fat..

Offline dav242

• Bronze Member
i've wondered about this too. but i've heard is that, instead of "new" fat cells getting created, any extra fat/sugar intake gets stored in EXISTING fat cells, usually those around or near the place where the old fat cells once were.

this, then, results in "fatter" fat cells, or enlarged fat cells (since, i guess, these cells have to store the stuff that the lipo-ed cells used to store).

not sure if that's the correct interpretation (i may be way off) - any conclusive answers out there?

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
There are very rare conditions where new fat cells can be produced, but on the whole, lipo is a a permanent solution to an otherwise permanent problem and should be regarded as such.

In the main, a surgeon removes fat cells from an offending area to create a more 'normal' contour with the body.  So after surgery, you will have a new and hopefully better shape to your body.  But if you continue to put on weight because of poor diet and/or lack of exercise, the remaining fat will increase in size, not in number of new fat cells in accordance with the new contour shape.  If you then loose that weight again, your contour will return (more or less) to what is was like just after surgery.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 08:59:12 PM by phantom »

Offline Michael D

I had stomach lipo about three months ago and my stomach has become flat (hooray!)
I'm told that there will be no increase in fat there because there are no more fat cells to enlarge--sounds like what about 90% of Americans should do!

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
dav24 and phantom, you are both correct.  The fat cells that were suctioned away are gone for good.  All remaining fat cells can increase in size with weight gain.  But the contour achieved by the liposuction shouldn't change that much.  Hopefully if one goes to the trouble of getting liposuction, he or she will be motivated to stay in shape.
Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024